Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Burger

Shell Rotella T and T1 oil

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Bamboo, Dec 31, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

My local marine retailer sells Shell Rotella oils and stocks the Rotella T1 HD SAE 40- which I buy for my DD-16V92 series on occasion. They also stock the Rotella T SAE 40 which states is "High performance mixed fleet engine oil". Both are CF-2 rated but the T does not shows it's rating on the label while the T1HD does. The retailer claims they are the same oil. I've in the past only used the T1 HD SAE 40. Anyone here used the Mixed fleet T and what are the differences between the oils if any?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I can't actually find a spec sheet for Rotella T1 HD SAE 40 but they are out there for T1 without the HD designation.

If I were you I would stick with what you know works on those old girls but did happen to notice that on the spec sheet I post the link to below it does say approved for DD two strokes but not recommended for high speed engines which seems to be a bit of a contradiction to me.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/t1.html
  3. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

^^^^^^^^^^ thanks for the reply K1w1

http://www.greatlakesoil.com/products/2130-data.pdf

I found this for the T oil.

I've used various oils; the DD Power Guard, Ursa, Rotella and the Kendall Super D- all of which have the required CF-2 rating, and I never use anything but the SAE 40- also required. Sometimes the price difference is the driving reason for using differing oils- it can be as much as $30 for a 5 gallon pail. The Rotella I just bought was $70 a pail vs $80 for the Super D and $99 for the Power Guard. I don't mix the oils- but do usually buy 8 pails at a time for an oil change and then use to fill for use between changes.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I like to stick with the one type unless there is a compelling reason to change.

I will shortly be running 4000 series MTU Main engines and CAT Gensets on the same vessel.

Contractually we have it that all engines will run on the same lubricant as we will be carrying around 2500 US Gals of it and it removes the chance of filling with the wrong stuff.
  5. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

I found when in Florida that Castrol assuron HD cf2 lower ash than Shell was around 60.00 per pail that was 2014 prices before the big drop in world $$
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I prefer anything but Rotella which used to be an excellent oil. I've noticed in D.D. 2 strokes that it tends to make noticably lower oil pressure after 50-75 hours and also FDDA told me they have seen higher piston ring wear with boats that use it. That being said, there are many people who use it with good results. I prefer the Mobil oil who is also the manufacturer for MTU,MAN,CAT, etc factory oil.
  7. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

I like to not change as well however I can only carry/store one oil change worth of oil as I have to also have the empties onboard to put the old oil in. If the oil I bought in FL is not in NY then I buy what is available. Where I stay in NY does not have as many options. You'll be carrying 2500 gallons of engine oil?
    I'd prefer the Power Guard but it's by far the most expensive and no one has shown me any proven gain for using it. I've never heard that the Rotella T1 HD is anything but very good.
    The MSDS shows the Rotella T sae 40 is 1% while the Castrol is .95% ... so that's as close as you can get without being the same. I couldn't find the T1 HD sae 40 msds which listed ash. The Castrol does have a lower pour point at -27c than either version of the Rotella.
    http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5640C0F9DED8833380257AA900531CC3/$File/Castrol Assuron 30 _1715_.pdf
  8. Caltexflanc

Caltexflanc Senior Member

Another one to consider, which I got great results from, is the NAPA 75118 if they still have it; some locations had to order it, others like the one on SR84 in FtL used to floor stack it. I pretty much settled on either it or the DD rebranded Mobil Delvac. The 75118 is rebranded Valvoline and has one of the lowest ash %, somewhere around .6 IIRC. I was doing three or four oil changes a year when we were cruising full time. Here in NC, Covington (then Western Branch) sold me the DD for the about the same as the NAPA, so why not?
    If you search the Hatteras Owners Forum, there is a comparison of the ash ratings for several oils in a few posts.

I think if you double check, the Kendall Super D is not Cf2 rated. At least it wasn't 7 years ago.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I've been using the NAPA oil for over 12 years on ours and all 2 stoke Detroit engines since the start of our company.
    I usually only stock 75118 and 75121 for most of our customers.
    Cat SOS oil lab results always come back very well regarding oil quality after 200-300 hours, some longer.
  10. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

http://www.phillips66lubricants.com/documents/Kendall/fleet_commercial_engine_oils/Ken Super-D 3 Monogrades TDSw 726470a.pdf
    ash is rated at 1.0 and it is cf-2 rated.
    The NAPA website shows the straight 40 oil (75118) at $71 a pail but does not list the oil's rating. I'll see if I can find the MSDS online and post that.
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

API rating is CF-2.
    Web site just says CF but the pail says CF-2.

I can take a pic of one of my pails in a few days.
  12. Caltexflanc

Thanks, I guess I wasn't aware of all the different variations of Super D, looks like D3 is the Cf2 flavor, so it would be helpful to others to specify.

RC: I just so happen to have a pic of a 75118 label right here:

[​IMG]
  13. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

The Ash content is not such an issue for you guys running old DD's with no filtration /after treatment as it is for anyone using a DPF.
  14. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Slow, damp & cool morning here (Jax FL). Glad you got that pic. Think I'm going to stay in with my new kitten.

Think everything that needs to be noted, is there on the label.
    Like I mentioned above, We offer Cat SOS oil test during our oil services. Every report comes back good on oil quality.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I found my Detroit factory oil spec guide dated 2005. It is in PDF and 577 kb in size.
    I do not think I can attach anything to PM so if you would like a copy, PM me with an e-mail address where I can send this.
  16. Caltexflanc

I always had an oil analysis every time I changed and got very good results. I, and Detroit, disagree with Kiwi, the factory service manual goes to lengths on the oil's sulfated ash and the fuel sulfur (the lower the better) spec and does not discriminate as to how the engine is equipped. If less is better, why not get less?
  17. Bamboo

Bamboo Senior Member

Kiwi stated it was not such an issue (on DD 2 cycles) as it is with diesels (four cycle) which are fitted with DPF.
    However back to the first question; does anyone know the difference between the two Rotella oils I spoke of?
  18. Caltexflanc

And I, and Detroit, disagree with that. It's the one oil spec for those 2 stroke engines they go out of their way to highlight. And the ash maximum % is lower for 2 strokes than 4's: <1% vs <2%.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

On a additional note, I use the same 40w (CF-2) in my TD-514 clutches. No API rating required from TD, just quality 40w.
    Oil crystal clear, pressures perfect. Not bad for untouched '78 clutches.
  20. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The Rotella T1 40W is rated for use in Detroit Diesel 53,71, or 92 series and it is cf-2 rated, see chart on the right side with the check boxes, their 30w/40w/50w is rated for it. See the big white box (4th down) on the checkmark sheet under SAE viscosity grade.
    http://rotella.shell.com/products/t1.html

It only shows 15w-30 and 15w-40 for Rotella T triple protection, not a straight 40w. That being said I reiterate that I wouldn't use the triple protection. A rebuild on your motor costs $75k or more, what's an extra $2 a gallon for oil to use the D.D. stuff.