Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for JetForums Click for YF Listing Service

Second anchor

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by JimmyL, Mar 25, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

I hear most of you have secondary anchors that you can deploy for a number of very good reasons. My boat came with the anchor that the builder installed and it works perfectly and I have a very small dingy anchor. I want to add a second main anchor but not sure where to store in on board that would be convenient and out of the way?
  2. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Our best back-up is a Fortress, sized slightly larger than suggested for our boat, dismantled and stowed in its bag. That style has worked well in most holding grounds we've encountered.

-Chris
  3. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Thanks ranger42c.
    Do you just keep it in a lower rear storage locker? Would be a bit of a beast to haul out..
    That's about the only place I could think of.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

The Fortress come apart and takes up the room of the shank length by 10 " wide. Under any bench seat should work. A pair of cheap 3/4" wrenches stashed in the bag help in quick assembly and deployment.
    We have a FX55 & FX85 in the Bert bow deck locker and back up rode and chain are already in our stb rode locker ready to shekel on and go. More rode and chain in the forward bilge, below the for deck hatch.
    On board for years, never deployed.
    Ole 65 Bruce has never failed.
  5. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yep, any skinny space long enough for the shank will usually do. We also have wrenches in the bag, shackles, a bit of a chain leader, etc. and then we also keep a 200-ft rope (for rode) on a spool in another storage area. I'd prefer to store all that forward somewhere, but our rope locker isn't suitable for other stuff competing with the rope/chain rode for the primary anchor.

Happens our Fortress (in bag) is on the bridge just now, but another likely area would be our fishbox -- which we don't use for fish after May 15th-ish. Or I could store in the lazarette under the fishbox, but that gets slightly less-speedily accessible...

-Chris
  6. JimmyL

JimmyL Member

Good suggestions and the spare wrenches would certainly help in deployment speed. Thanks for the tips!
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Second anchor on second windless, right beside the first. I know this is most common on larger boats, but it really makes a lot of sense on other boats, especially those that anchor a lot.
  8. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Agree. Even better. Wish we had that.

That said, I'd still probably carry the Fortress dismantled in the bag... and use two different style anchors on the permanent mounts.

Although there's another anchor (at least) that also dismantles; Spade maybe... No experience with that.

-Chris
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I think the Vulcan's shank comes off, it still has a foot print and still takes back to move it. The second (& third) advantages of the fortress's is small foot print (when in it's bag) and when deployed, still has tremendous holding power.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have often thought of a second anchor on the bow and reason my self out of it;
    On a previous boat I managed, it had a lunch hook and a CQR copy.
    The good looking lunch hook could not hold anything during lunch.
    We just started using the main anchor and ate, partied and some times stayed and spent the night without a worry.
    Later, we removed it (lunch hook) and cleaned up the extra hardware. Really made for a nicer looking bow.
    Never missed it.

When you look at all the blow botes (dock queens) with all that anchor junk up there, I have to wonder if their (operators) really are bad at anchoring or it is really junk up there.

How often to you want the aggravation of setting a second hook? Or having to deal with the extra hardware in the way when setting the first hook.

IMO, I can sense the forward observer offering grid cords already.
  11. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Spray them and keep them in a double baggie
  12. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I meant I'd prefer two primary (size/weight) anchors, of different design for different holding ground. No lunch hook (seems sort of a waste, if there's a second windlass). I wouldn't envision setting two anchors at the same time in anything less than an expected unavoidable hurricane.

Just acknowledging that different anchors sometimes seem to do better in different sub-strate.

-Chris
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I have been told this by a few before. Usually dock queen owners(see #10).
    <---- picture to left is our 58 x 18 Bert. She anchors in Jax, up river, The Tortugas, Bahamas, grass, shell, sand, rock, mud, deep mud, deep & shallow and everything in between.
    I sleep well every night on one hook.

On the other hand, Your sleeping on your boat. If you feel better with two different hooks, Then go for it.

Just trying to point out some of that multi hook, hoop-ya, may be just hook-ya.
    ,rc
  14. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We've always had good luck with our current primary anchor, we've also always had good luck with the Fortress, we don't have a second roller/windlass/rope locker/etc. (nor room to make one), so it's a moot point for us, anyway. Just would be my preference, if it were possible. In the meantime, we just use an anchor with a good track record in the types of bottoms we mostly encounter.

-Chris
  15. bobhorn

bobhorn Member

While cruising for three years on our 'blow boat', we hardly ever went into a marina so spent most nights anchored out. We did have two anchors on bow rollers. The primary was a big CQR which only let us down one time. A front came through in the middle of the night and the CQR started to drag and after several attempts would not reset, real soupy bottom. The backup was a big ugly Max anchor and once we gave up and dropped it we had no more problems that night. We kept the Max at the bow because it was too big to store anywhere else. We also had an aluminum Fortress which we occasionally used as a stern anchor.

Most cruising boats carry several anchors, one reason being the possibility of having to cut one loose when it hangs up and cannot be retrieved. Never happened to us but I know of several boats that had that happen.
  16. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Except for fuel and maybe dockage that night, we usually stay on the hook.
    For near 13 years on this boat, we feel good about our hardware now and our setting routine.
    In the beginning, we did go thru some name brand anchors that were top (hot air) rated. Quickly got rid of them. Sleep well on the hook now days (10 years +).
    I am sure that is one of the OPs (and ours) concerns also. I just don't pile the hardware on the bow. Spare anchors (bag'd Fortress's) are still close at hand for backup and heavy conditions.
  17. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Our primary for this area is a pivoting SuperMAX; so far, lots of years, always good results.

-Chris
  18. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I have never understood the concept of a lunch hook... I don't want lunch to get cold while the anchor needs to be reset. What s the point anyway, save a few amps on the windlasS

I m a big believer in fitting the biggest anchor that will fit the pulpit, using it with a lot of chain and nothing else.

Even here in the bahamas where current is a frequent issue, we use one anchor and not the bahamian moor with two so many people recommend (usually from th comfort of an arm chair)

using two anchors is a pita, takes too long to set and worst much longer to retrieve if something happens, like a boat dragging on to you.

Using two marginal anchors is even worst as with the swing they will rarely hold together but more like one at a time, dragging a little each time.

My primary on the 70 footer I run is a 176 lbs Bruce with a 110 lbs back up in the anchor locker just in case we loose the primary. Reason for the smaller back up is that it was our previous primary and also because there is no way I could lift anything bigger out of the loccker anyway.

On my 53 Hatt I have a fortress 55 which is ok for local trips but it will be replaced by a 110 Bruce once the refit is finished and we use the boat in the Exumas. The FX is a good back up but they do not reset well in mud and grass making them inadequate in anchorages subject to tidal current.
  19. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

I suspect the concept came from the time when powered windlasses weren't all that common on boats "real people" could afford...

Maybe the same about storm anchors; the original concept may well have come from a time when many boats didn't have powered windlasses, didn't want to wrestle the extra weight any more than necessary.

Our primary IS our storm anchor. I know the theory (pros and cons, etc.) behind setting multiple anchors, but have never had to do it. Mostly because we usually have the freedom to not have to worry about anchoring when weather threatens, but even in a few deteriorating situations... our single primary (main, storm, lunch) anchor has done just fine.

-Chris
  20. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You typed the words rite off my keyboard.
    ,rc