Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn

Sealing a Pitted Aluminum Tank with Epoxy Primer

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by C4ENG, Aug 19, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

I have found some pitting along the bottom of an aluminum tank were water had been acumulating then unfortunately caused some fuel to weep out. I can see that the most optimal repair would be cutting out the rotten material and replacing with new. I can't do that right now so I had preped and cleaned the area as well as possible and smeared some belzona in the pits. After doing some research on my repair, I found an article stating that it is a good idea to epoxy primer bare aluminum to stop any farther corrision. I then had a hard time finding any articles about what exactly is epoxy primers for aluminum. Can any one out there school me in on some info on how to locate a good epoxy primer and the right primer I would want to use for the situation that I am in now. Any other experiences with this sort of problem would also be appreciated.
  2. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Both Sterling and Awlgrip make a zinc rich epoxy primer , the yellow stuff. However this I believe is porious and needs to be overcoated. You will also want to prep the surface I would suggest Alumaprep which is a chemical cleaning agent specially for aluminium and then Alodine which is an etching agent prior to painting
  3. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

Hey Gary,
    I appreicate you posting your reply. Unfortunately my belzona repair did not hold up and I will not be painting the area now. This has become a ship yard project for sure now. Loads of things need to be removed for access and for weilding and cutting.
  4. Garry Hartshorn

Garry Hartshorn Senior Member

Sounds like the boat has been sitting for quite some time at some point in its life and if you are having this problem in one tank I would be looking very closely at the other tanks. Hopfully it does not get too out of hand !!!!:)
  5. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

Water in the fuel is a not uncommon cause of this.
  6. C4ENG

C4ENG Senior Member

That is such a scary thought but I so much agree about the other tanks. This vessel is about 8 years old and only has like 2500 hours on the mains. She does spends lots of time at the dock and slowly releasing all her little alumimum atoms to those more noble theiving alloys.
  7. PHILRAJOTTE

PHILRAJOTTE New Member

There Is No Good Way To Seal A Corroded Tank. The Problem Is Having The Tank Sit In Water It Can Get Wet But Should Be Able To Dry If Water Is Get Between The Tank And Platform It Needs To Be Installed Differently