Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport Click for Abeking

Sanlorenzo 52Steel in Build

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by T.K., May 23, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

The two Sanlorenzo 52Steel hulls currently in build were recently transported to the new yard in La Spezia where they will be completed. The 52Steel will be classified at 499GT. The yacht is built in a steel hull with an aluminium superstructure. The first hull is expected to be completed in June 2017.

Sanlorenzo 52Steel (1).jpg Sanlorenzo 52Steel (2).jpg Sanlorenzo 52Steel (3).jpg Sanlorenzo 52Steel (4).jpg Sanlorenzo 52Steel (5).jpg
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

This is how they will look once completed: Sanlorenzo 52Steel (6).jpg Sanlorenzo 52Steel (7).jpg Sanlorenzo 52Steel (8).jpg
  3. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

A nice looking and well proportioned yacht. And from the preliminary drawings I have seen, with an well thought out layout. But I always wonder, how Italian shipyards build such big boats under 499 GT. RINA must be very cooperative :). T.K., do you know, wheather those yachts are spec boats or built on order?
  4. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Gross tonnage is a very strict and accurate calculation. Class will always review it prior to certifying the yacht. At least one 52Steel has an owner. I am not very familiar with the second hull.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

It looks to me like both height and beam are less than average in that length boat so will keep it under. Compare to many 160-164' boats that come in at 499 and I can see how it has no more volume than they do.
  6. T.K.

T.K. Senior Member

Her overall length is 170ft. The beam is 9.30m and the internal room clean heights are mostly 215cm. Her draft is 2.65m.
  7. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I like that boat gentlemen, I was just joking. Lets say, the 52 is a big 499 GT boat :). With some personal experience I can say, from the shipyard and the ships operator point of view, RINA is MUCH easier to deal with, than with the NVGL or some anglo saxon classification societies for example. But as long as you stay within your class or within the EU with your flagstate, nobody will ever recalculate the volumina of your boat again unless you implement changes to this boat which are relevant to class.

But the Mangusta 165 Open for example is 163 ft 7 inches long (49,90 Meter), 30 ft 18 inches wide (9,20 Meter) and with 6 feet 23 inches draft (1,90 Meter). I have personally seen and checked her GT calcualtion sheet. Her 488 GT are very realistic. And the missing 11 GT towards 499 GT are not very much. Remember 1 GT are just 100 cubic feet. 11 GT are 1.100 cubic feet or just 31,148 cubic meter. I am just comparing a 164 ft Open 2,5 deck with a 3,5 deck 499 GT steel full displacement yacht.

Italian yards are well known for building the longest 24 Meter (class) boats (Remember due to the wonderfull "London Load Line Length" and/or the RINA homologation length, the Pershing 92 is officially a 23,99 Meter boat!!) and the biggest/longest 499 GT boats. May be they have the better Naval Architects :D.