Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Nordhavn Click for Northern Lights Click for Mulder

replacement of G4 bulbs with LED

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Larry Glover, Apr 24, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Larry Glover

Larry Glover New Member

What LEDs are being used to replace the G4 24v 20w bulbs?
  2. menkes

menkes Member

Google "G4 24v led bulbs" and you'll find a bundle of them
  3. SeaLion

SeaLion Senior Member

...and pay attention to color temperature. I started with a test of warm and cool white bulbs and was much happier with warm, except in the engine room where I prefer cool.
  4. bsd222

bsd222 New Member

Im in the middle of changing all of my G4 to LED ,there has been a bit of a learning curve.All of our LED replacement bulbs were purchased online from Oracle lighting, great price and service.Unfortunately it wasn't as easy as plug and play.We changed out 90 bulbs,they worked initially,but over a one month period 40% of them burned out.The issue is the transformers that run the G4's allow too much voltage to be passed to the fixture and therefor the LED bulbs burn out.We are now installing voltage regulators down stream of the transformers.The tough part was locating all of the transformers,good luck!!!
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I recently replaced 65 24volt 20 watt g iv's. I used the Scandvicks and 10 watt replacement (cannot fit the 20w equivalent.) The 10 watt replacements are just as bright as the 20w halogens they replaced. They all dim really dim or really bright (flawlessly) with all of the Sunseeker factory dimmers on the boat. I prefer warm white (which is the color the halogens put out).

These are the ones I used
    http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_Products/CatId/287/ID/979.htm
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

We changed all our G4 bulbs with LED discs from marinebeam. Interior are "Force 12" warm white. Replaced the exterior (bridge) G4s with red discs.

Not inexpensive, but these seem to offer better heat dissipation control (previous generation discs from another supplier eventually showed sign of excessive heat on the backplane), and they dim nicely on our circuits without any additional work.

-Chris
  7. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

I replaced all G4 lamps two years ago with Hero Led's. Even though this is a China company the bulbs are very high quality. Never replaced one in two years. Also went with warm white.