Click for Cross Click for Abeking Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Abeking

Refit waste system

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by gofish322, Mar 6, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gofish322

gofish322 New Member

Hi. I have a 1986 46' Post and have to change the head /holding tank system to meet the Great lakes Coast Guard regulations. I was thinking of replacing the Lectrosan system with a Vacuflush system. Does anyone have any thoughts or advice? Has anyone done this on there boat? Thanks for the help. Steve.
  2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

you're comparing apples to oranges. Lectrasan is a treatment system, Vacuflush is a head; you can have both...

Lectrasans are legal except in NDZ (no discharge zones) like some harbors, lakes and the florida keys. I dont' know if the Great Lakes are an NDZ, probably.

If they are an NDZ, all you really need to do is add a holding tank if you don't already have one. It's not a big deal, you just need to find a location big enough for the tank you want to install, somewhere accessible and not too far from the head or along the lines from the head.

engine room, under the floor at the bow, etc... where is the lectrasan right now?

Then you just route the hose(s) coming from your head(s) to the holding tank.

To empty the tank, all you need is a deck fitting and hose going to the tank for pump out.

If the lectrasan is working and if you plan on using the boat in areas where it is legal, you probably want to keep it. In that case, you would use a Y valve to select either holding tank or lectrasan for the waste coming from the head(s)

Note that Raritan has introduced a system called Hold N Treat which pulls waste from teh holding tank and process it in the lectrasan. It's worth considering as it gives you the best of both world.

A note on Vacuflush... they have two benefits. first they use fresh water which eliminates some of the odor caused by raw water (although in the GL it probablydoens't matter...). Second, they use less water than conventional heads which allows you to use a smaller holding tank... or go longer between pump out.

note that there are some regulations to be aware of. like having a lock or remove the handle on the seacocks for waste discharge. Same with Y valves... if your boat has a Y valve to select Lectrasan/holding or direct overboard, it must locked or the handle must be removed.

hope this helps... otherwise tell us exactly what you have (number and model of heads, etc...)
  3. gofish322

gofish322 New Member

All of the Great lakes are NDZ. The boat has been in storage 4 years and I haven't tested the Raritan heads to see if they work. The Lectrasan tank unit is mounted under the floor in the hallway between the two heads (center of the boat). I wasn't sure if the toilets would discharge into a holding tank or if they are pumped by the lectrasan tank. I was thinking I would have to replace the entire system. I will do some research and try to get you some more info. Thanks for your help.
  4. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

that's what i thought, so if you are going to keep the boat up there, you are probably better off removing the lectrasan and install a holding tank. If you have enough room in the current location, that will be the easiest thing to do.

Keep in mind that sometimes people get creativ; often for instance, someone will connect one head to a lectrasan and teh other one to a holding tank or even direct overboard! So you will need to follow the plumbing to know what you have.

if the boat has been in the Great Lakes, i'm surprised it doens't have a holding tank... not sure where the NDZ was established though.

until Raritan's Hold n Treat, on boat with lectrasan stuff from the head goes to the LS and then overboard. You can't pump the lectrasan output to a holding tank and then discharge it later as having treated waste sitting in a holding tank restarts the bacteria process and it's no longer considered treated.

but if the LS works and if you have room, you may consider keeping it in case the boat leaves inland waters in the future.
  5. Capt. Mike

Capt. Mike New Member

I am in Tennessee and here on the river no one ever checks our boats for holding tanks. My boat is from the 70's and there was never a holding tank like most boats built before 1985 Sadly we dump in the river. I am installing a 140 gallon holding tank in my boat, not that I have but I want to. I am building my tank out of fiberglass in the engine room, that is the only way I can build one this size.

In the mid bathroom /head I wanted to use a RV style toilet/head they use so much less water. Sense they dump straight down I had to build a small tank under the head first, it holds eleven gallons. The small tank will dump into the lager 140 gallon tank like flushing a crown head, easy as pie.

Rv heads need no water to flush just to fill the bowl as in use, the work like a Vacuflush. In my master bath I have a atlantes head, i don't think I have the room to install a tank under my floor but maybe later I will look into it more. the front bathroom will have to wait too.

http://web.mac.com/tanyard/Site_6/building_Tanks.html#grid

http://web.mac.com/tanyard/Site_6/mid_bath.html#0

www.bigwoodenboat.com
  6. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

Installed a tank on a 1984 43' Post

Steve, when I bought my boat 5 years ago, it had a dead Lectra San that I replaced with a holding tank. I only have one head, where I think you have two. Shouldn't matter too much. I kept the same toilet.

I did the whole job myself. Not really that hard. Installed a custom 30 gallon tank under the queen bed forward, ran the lines through the PVC cutouts already in the bulkheads in the bilge. Installed a deck pumpout through the anchor locker. And a mascerator pump to pumpout at sea, when I am offshore. For me, the key was getting the tank from: http://www.oceanlinkinc.com/ They install the tank fittings exactly where you want them on the tank. Good quality tank.
  7. sigarn

sigarn Member

Steve
    I have a 46 post as well and installed a vacuflush system. We removed the floor below the refer and installed the tank under that area. The pumps are under the floor in the galley area. It works great and I have had no issues. I have a question for you. Have you ever had an issue with the drain on the guest sink backing up ? It a real mystery to me. I installed a valve on the sink drain to stop it but cannot figure out why this happens. Somehow sea water comes in from time to time.
    Regards
    Steve Arnold
    704-222-6488
  8. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

i'm not familiar with the Post... usually sinks are high enough over the water line to prevent water from coming back in like it would on a heeling sail boat.

have you checked the hose goign go the thruhull or sea chest? is it possible that another device is Tee'd in the line and when it comes on it back flows? bilge pump, Air Con pump, etc... it's never a good idea to Tee in a discharge but you never know what a previous owner (or builder sometimes...) may do.