Click for Glendinning Click for Cross Click for YF Listing Service Click for Northern Lights Click for Westport

Pax drowned after jumping in the water from chartered yacht

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Norseman, Oct 30, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/family-sues-boat-company-20-191620505.html

Seems to be an inspected vessel with 12 pax, named Victoria.
    The family is suing the yacht and the crew.
    Curious if a crewmember tried to jump in and help, or not..?
    My charter insurance specifies no bathing or swimming, not covered.
    (I usually don’t mention it during my pre-departure briefing as I normally do sightseeing cruises
    with retirees and none have ever expressed an interest in jumping ship, but maybe I should in the future) :confused:
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I did not know there could be a lawsuit after a Darwin candidate realizes late he(?) could not swim..
    SFB..
    johnnry likes this.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

It was a 65 Mutt so uninspected/no coi since foreign built. Just one of hundreds of bareboat charters carrying up to 13 people.

And just another ambulance chasing mouthpiece making ridiculous claims like saying the stew should have jumped in the water too…. And “Rip Tide” in biscayne bay? Sure…

Was the crew negligent? Maybe… we ll never know if they told the guests not to jump in the water or not.

we never allow guests, to get in the water until the dinghy is launched and ready, swim ladder set and we have a float tied to a long line behind the boat. I ve seen too many people jumping in thinking they were great swimmers and needing help…

that’s the problem with these bareboat charters. The captains don’t have to be licensed, the crews are often not familiar with the boats and its equipment. It s time for the rules to be changed to lower the 12 pax 100gt minimum to 50 GT so fewer boats have to do bareboat
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Aha, bareboat, that explains it..
    Curious what kind of insurance they have, probably recreation only?
  5. daydreamer4

daydreamer4 New Member

I feel sorry for the family but when are we going to learn to be responsible for our own actions. Nobody told me not to jump out of the airplane!