Click for Delta Click for YF Listing Service Click for Mulder Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Oil or water lubricated shaft?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by JAG1, Jan 25, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. JAG1

JAG1 New Member

There's a minor argument in the office on the subject of oil or water lubricated shafts and which is best for a large yacht. Its purely academic as for us its done. Anyone got anything interesting to say on this old chestnut?
  2. DJPaintThat

DJPaintThat New Member

oil- if you got a leak u got a nasty bilge that now you have to clean up oil and have it stored in a safe container after clean up but oil ... now water is easier to clean up ... just my 2 cents...
  3. The Reverend

The Reverend New Member

Sorry DJ I would disagree - in general I have found oil shafts to be far more reliable.
    All the water filled shafts I have worked with have leaked packing seals always leak and require constant attention mechanical seals can be just as troublesome
    Salt water being thrown around by the shafts the engine or shaft space can cause a lot of mess/damage.
    Granted oil leaking out wouldn't be much fun but the (only) problem I've encoutered with oil shafts is a small amount of water contamination of the oil.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Hi,

I have to say I support the Reverends opinion here.

I have worked extensively with water and Oil Cooled Shaft Systems.

The water pressure generally keeps the Oil in where as the spray around the front of the stuffing box is a right pain to deal with if you can't nip it up for one reason or another.

There are also a range of fully bio degradable oils available for shafts and hydraulics today so spilling it in the sea is no longer a valid argument.

http://www.vickers-oil.com/marine_v2/index.php

These Oils are now being pushed at every opportunity I get.

I find resistance from some equipment manufacturers who have their own deals with Oil suppliers which I guess is to be expected.