Click for Mulder Click for Perko Click for Delta Click for Walker Click for Northern Lights

OFFSHORE 55 or 58

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by Kafue, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

I have just sold my boat and am in the market for a clean OFFSHORE 55 or 58, 3 cabin, year from 1992 to 2000.
    Any member have any comments about these vessels, their pitfalls, what to look out for when buying, prefered engines etc?
    Also, this web site is a great experience, I thought I was amongs only a few "obsessed tragics" about boating! Feel right at home on YACHTFORUMS.
    Kafue
  2. keithhill

keithhill New Member

I have owned Offshore 48 yachtfisher and pilothouse boats and upgraded 2 years ago to an extended cockpit 62' which is now 64' and added a tender lift, because I think cranes are dangerous and besides it leaves a great space for entertaining. The overall length is now nearly 70' which is the maximum that I think the 17' beam can carry.
    I love our boat and have already cruised from Sydney to Tasmania and then up to Queensland.
    This year we intend to go north again but this time much further, maybe even to Lizard Island, depending on the trade winds. Hopefully 6 months away.
    It is called taking advantage of the economic downturn.
    When we did the Tassie trip we averaged 9.4 kts @ 1000rpm at 32 litres per hour including the generator. Cheap cruising in my opinion although it could have been a bit better if I hadn't opened it up for the last 2 hours to get in before dark to an exilerating 17 kts which was a great end to 3 days at 9kts. That sort of blew out our fuel consumption.
    If you are thinking of an Offshore 55 or 58 then I would certainly recommend it, but then I am a bit biased being a long time owner.
  3. KCook

KCook Senior Member

Welcome to YachtForums keithhill :)

Kelly Cook