Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

Noob checking in with the 'big boat' folks!

Discussion in 'YachtForums Yacht Club' started by Cpt Sous-Leau, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Hello good people of big boats. Well, I up and did it. I bought a 530 Carver Voyager. I know, I know, it's barely a yacht, maybe just a boat, doesn't hardly qualify, but the other boat forums are all about 26' center consoles. Yuch. So, I've been a boater since I was about 14, and moved up progressively from 14 Hobie cats all the way to a 37 Sea Ray twin D.

Last Nov my wife double dog dared me to buy a bigger boat. ('Cmon, I dare ya, buy it! go for it, buy it, if you have the balls, pull the trigger!). I retired in April and have a decent income for life so with balls bigger than brains I found my hill to die on.

I looked for the 45, 53, 56ft boats for almost a year, and finally wound up in the great white north of MN in Feb to choose my floating disaster. I haven't even bought it yet, and I'm still wondering what the hell I'm doing. I also still have the 37 Sea Ray, and it won't leave the stable until this summer, assuming prices will remain strong.

Looking forward to complaining - er, commenting on the joy of owning a fairly big boat(to me anyway) and smashing into things while sipping a pina colada or two. Wondering about a new name for my chosen steed. Maybe 'Painintheass"(greek of course), or 'Busted Flush' or maybe 'Wifes Fault'.

Opinions?
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Wifesfault.

And welcome
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If a boat is a mistress, it's the Wife's Fault. Given your retired status as a nuclear engineer... Gone Fission! :D
    leeky and Capt Ralph like this.
  4. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Ok, but I'll be sleeping in the crew bunk...:D
  5. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Ooohhh, that's good, sir.
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Welcome to Yacht Forums.
    There are many Carver owners here.
    You should feel at home here.
    They usually blame the neighbors dawg before the wife but it does read like it is her fault.

Tell us more about your boat; Diesels? Wife like it? She going to wash it?
  7. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Thank you Ralph.

I have been looking at the Carver 53/56 for maybe two years. Spent a lot of late nights online learning about them and all the options. I went to FL and looked at a pile of boats in the same genre, and those Azimuts were real purty, but the build quality, and the condition of the FL boats left me a bit aghast. All of the 53/56 hulls came with diesels, but I was going for the Big Engine. I have no problem with the Cummins 5.9 inline, but they don't plane out real fast when heavy. My boat has the 8.3L 610HP Volvo engines. It was the biggest engine offered in the line, and took me a while to find one. The other option was either the davit on the fly, or the hyd swimstep in back.

I literally did drive 1000 miles up to Stillwater MN to look at this boat. We haggled a bit and I finally just wrote the check. It's going in the water mid-Apr and I hope to have it down to the Republic of Texas late next month. I saw a lot of care when I checked it out, and had all the features I wanted. The wife knows nothing about boats except how many fridges on board, and if the AC will keep it at a steady 69F. She seems happy with the machine, but time will tell. No - she will not be washing it. That's why there are immigrants in this country.
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You will read many luv/hate threads here on Da Muts. I personally don't think they would make good artificial reef material. Fish have values also.

I am glad you found a boat with the 8.3 Cummins. 5.9s were o k but for long life and real value, you shopped for the better option.

Sad they all come with the ShitWood raw water pumps. There are upgrades here.
    Please visit https://www.sbmar.com/tonys-tips/ .
    Check the SeaMAx pumps and motor mount tips under this pump. When the time comes, consider these upgrades.

I assume your coming down the big river and hanging a right at the GOM.
    Fun ride.

By the way, long live the Republic of Texas.
  9. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

OK Ralph, good to know about the sea water pumps. I'll keep that in mind. I'll hunt around on Tony's site, and make note when I need to repair or upgrade.

Believe it or not, I'm going down I-25 with two big ass trailers two pilot cars, and - me. I looked at the job involved in taking down the MS to the Ohio, over to the TennTom and then to the GOM. But - it's a better trip on trailer, and I got a smokin' good deal from a guy with a ton of Voyager experience. I'll start a new thread with a lot of pics when we get time to move. I've driven some big trucks before, including M59 and M113 army tracked APC, but these trailers are YUGE as someone with a red hat once quipped.

BTW, we got bluebonnets and lantanas with some primrose along all the highways after a good few rains. Welcome to Texas y'all!
  10. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Update, I have the 8.3 Volvo Penta engines, so that pump won't work on my engines.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

8.3 L diesel engine from Volvo?
    I am not familiar with this model.
    Their D-8 is 7.7 L.
  12. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Yeah, I got cornfused. It's the TAMD-P engine. Well before the D8, etc.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  13. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Think I found it on the web. Nice looking boat.
    Still, survey the engines very well. Including oil labs on the clutch and engine.
    Coolant labs also.

I would think more hours for a 25 year old boat.
    But then, up north, it's a different world on the waterfront.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2024
  14. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

You're cheating yourself out of a great trip by putting it on a trailer.
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Even with the arch and windshield stripped off, That is a tall tub.
    9094308_20231023145231951_1_XLARGE.jpg
    Bring her down in the waterways.
  16. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

Use her bottom, a gazillion loopers do it every year. I'm betting you can too!!
  17. boatpoor

boatpoor Active Member

If you do decide to bring her down the river and are planning to use the Tenn Tom ,check with the corps of engineers to see if the Demopolis, Al. lock is back in operation. They closed it a couple of months ago and were hoping to have it operational by sometime in April. The lower Mississippi isn't a bad trip if you have the fuel capacity to make it.
  18. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Whaa, All you have to do is drift down bound (with the current).. :rolleyes:
  19. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Guys, it's going by trailer, already decided and paid for. If I were going to do the half-loop I would have chosen that first. Here's some honesty. I do not have the piloting skills to take this boat down constricted waterways. In fact, I don't have the skills yet to take it anywhere but in open, calm water.

Although I have a LOT of time in lake boats, and in-shore on under-30' craft, I need a bunch of hours in a vessel this size and weight before I should try the inland route. Yes, I could and would hire a qual captain and take training along the way. But I decided for about the same cost, considering fuel, dockage, insurance rider, captain, and any repair needed, I wanted it in one piece down here.

Add to this, although I'm retired, I have some active investments in the south that kinda prohibit me from being away for 3-4 weeks at a time. I run a lot of rentals, and they keep me busy, although I'm doing more off-loading of responsibility all the time, I still need to be around to keep things on an even keel - so to speak.
  20. Cpt Sous-Leau

Cpt Sous-Leau Member

Naming ideas:

Radioactive - "Pleasure vessel Radioactive, six miles south bouy 12, comm check."
    Atomic Pile - "Pleasure vessel Atomic Pile, six miles south bouy 12, comm check."
    Neutron(Proton) - "Pleasure vessel Neutron, six miles south bouy 12, comm check."
    Isotope....
    Half Life....
    Beta Particle....
    Alpha Particle....