Click for Perko Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Abeking Click for Mag Bay

Non-accessible deck areas on yachts?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by tuna_hp, Nov 20, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. tuna_hp

tuna_hp New Member

I have noticed that larger yachts have varying proportions of inaccessible, fenced off deck area. Some have tons and its a dominant part of the look, some have less and greater proportions of accessible teak decking. Why? What are the considerations beyond aesthetics? What are those areas called?

I am wondering if there are performance or regulatory considerations that aren't obvious as someone who knows nothing about yachts. I brainstormed that considerations could be:
    • Aesthetics
    • Weight (presumably teak decks rated to support lots of people and furniture are heavier)
    • Privacy/quiet (maybe prevent people from walking on top of the below accommodations, maybe block views of the forward verandah's from the decks above)
    • Equipment space (maybe its not completely flush with the decking, but there's actually room for essential HVAC equipment?)
    • Regulatory: does it maybe only count as an "awning" rather than a "deck", and therefore allow for the space below to not be counted as "enclosed volume" for the purposes of GT rating?
    Here's an extreme example of what I'm talking about with the yacht Solandge, which has huge inaccessible areas on each deck and the whole bow:

Attached Files:

2. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The only reason for areas at the forward end of upper decks to be that way it give the boat a sleeker look. And yes there is usually equipment in there whether air handlers, electronics etc.

as to the area at the bow of the pictured boat, I m sure that space is used as well, probably for toys and tenders. You can see a large hatch there
  3. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

A large, flat foredeck on boats the size of Solandge are sometimes used as helipads but given the size of that hatch, it’s most likely being used for tender storage.