Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn

Newport to St. Thomas via Bequia

Discussion in 'Yacht Captains' started by Llerrad, Jun 27, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Llerrad

Llerrad New Member

I might be delivering a 73' power cat designed by Malcolm Tennant manufactured by Awesome Powerboats. She carries 4000 gallons of diesel. At 14kts. about 2000 nm range and at 10 kts. about 3000 nm. Moving her from Newport Beach to St. Thomas via Bequia. Thinking of departing Newport around the end of October. Did the trip on a 84' Palmer Johnson ketch from Bequia to San Diego October-Mid November with a few weeks in Costa Rica. Never encountered any major weather on that trip. Want to cross the Caribbean to Bequia ahead of the Christmas trades in December. Any thoughts?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Are you familiar with this model or this boat. Knowledge and familiarity is important delivering any craft.
    How many mates? Engineer qualified? Qualified for watch?
    Look over the operating/service records, anything past due for service?
    Consistent fuel consumption logs at the speeds you will travel?
    Verified reservations for docks and fuel?
    Can you cook?
    Then the SOLAS requirements. Your passing thru multi countries. All up to snuff?
    Agent or reservations thru the P/C?
    Owner on board? I hate it when the owners are on board, I usually charge double at least.

These are just thoughts I would go thru, plus what my wife dreams up.
    Answering the stuff in her head is another adventure but good to check off.
    Your wife contribute with these extra items? Listen to her..

You have a crew problem, I used to push big/old Mares Cats. I'll fly with ya..
  3. Llerrad

Llerrad New Member

This is a new boat for me. Normally I prefer to sail but this boat was designed to cross oceans. I will have time to become familiar. 4 of my crew are retired lifeguards all with mechanical backgrounds. 3 of my crew did the trip from Bequia to San Diego. The boat is not officially on the market yet. No reservations yet since the boat has not been purchased yet. We all cook. We all can navigate. Will get an agent in Panama. Owner is my friend probably will do Costa Rica to San Blas. Will double check all safety before purchase. What is your opinion on that time of year for weather? Thanks for your information.
  4. Llerrad

Llerrad New Member

Also, one of my friends has his 100 ton master captains license and has done many deliveries on 120 foot boat.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Weather?? My weak point.
    I'm hoping some of our area seasoned captains can chime here on that.

If you remember the movie, I usually end up doing the "Lieutenant Dan" on some trips.
    Hang on tight.
  6. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

Your weather should be pretty good that time of the year. Earlier would be better, but your idea of getting ahead of Christmas trades is valid.
  7. Llerrad

Llerrad New Member

That’s awesome