Click for Walker Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Burger Click for Furuno Click for YF Listing Service

Need help with Charter Insurance, Charleston SC.

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Steve Hubbard, Sep 17, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Steve Hubbard

Steve Hubbard New Member

Greeting fellow yachtforum'ers, im more a lurker than a poster, but could use some help obtaining a reasonable charter yacht policy for my 2002 Cape Horn 74 Steel Trawler. I was previously with Yacht Insure through Maritime International, and had renewed my charter policy (3 hr harbor tours, 6 pax) this month. Shortly thereafter I made the mistake of submitting a new survey (to increase the insured value which was grossly underinsured at about 30% of actual value), and was promptly dropped. They kindly gave me 10 days to find a new policy. I have contacted many other brokers (Gallager, Jack Martin, Hogan) but to date have not had any reasonable quotes tendered. I have received one quote for ~30k which is a charter business killer. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers!
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

$30k is about the right amount for insurance to cost if it's for the correct value of your vessel.
  3. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

I had a charter business since 2016 and averaged about $2,100 a year for $1 mill liability and agreed value on the boats. (27’ and 28’ boats with 6 pax for sightseeing, no fishing, no diving)
    Primarily Charter Lakes Insurance.
    Now I downsized to a 23’ cc, but brand new boat, $850 a year with Geico, $500k liability.
    IMG_5748.jpeg