Click for Delta Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn

Need Advice on Trans Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, Jun 16, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

After or in parallel?

I'm away from my manuals again and don't have any pictures to to study (When in doubt, look at the pictures).
    Above you really did not find anything wrong with the clutches.
    Just trying to get an image of what you have and maybe, be ready to offer some more ideas.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, your engine spinning the same rotation direction as the prop?
    Alaska? 20 or 30W oil?
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks. I think we are in pretty good shape. There was some small visible corrosion on the clutches and the Tech thought there might be some swelling. I think it was the right choice to overhaul it despite the fact it seemed OK.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You made no comments on blue or black steel plates (usually shinny steel).
    If the reverse packs were dragging and making the heat, blue plates would of been observed.
    I am concerned your temp problem has not been addressed.

I am very eager to hear back good news on your next trials.
    Keep us up please.

,Ralph
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

The Tech Rep commented that he thought the added heat was from the clutch plates but I didn't get further into it than that comment. Hoping we see more normal temps when we test.
  6. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Finally got the boat trialed after a hard winter and happy to report the rebuilt Trans seems to be working great. The higher temp is gone and both sides now run within a degree of each other. The rebuilt trans has a little more gear pressure than the other (like 1%) but that is to expected given the fresh rebuild.
    There was definitely some fun along the way. Like the magnetic shaft tach band breaking. No replacement parts available that we could find. Fortunately the guy that does my work is a master and he fabricated a new one from scratch. We also needed to make some new shims to realign the engine after taking the mounts out and putting them back in. There wasn't a lot of alignment change but we are perfectionists so it was realigned to within less than .001".
    Did a quick haul-out yesterday for cleaning, new zincs and one new valve. Just in final cleaning and prep for the upcoming season. Our King Salmon season in predicted to be one of the worst ever but we'll have fun nonetheless.