Click for Glendinning Click for Walker Click for Westport Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

Multiple Windows on New Hull Designs

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by brian eiland, Nov 2, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

A friend of mine here in St Augustine and myself have opined lots lately on all the silly shaped, and multiple windows that new designers are putting on power and sailing craft. I'm coming from the sailing world, and he was at one time the chief engineer on a big Feadship. They really make for a lousy classical yacht.

And just yesterday they have resulted in the lost of a big catamaran that was off Carolina headed for the Carribean.

...from a trawler forum,....
    https://itayachtscanada.com/listing/moon-60-sail-catamaran-2021-2499990-usd-for-sale/

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s51/overturned-catamaran-69994.html#post1202150

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2023
  2. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

…who needs large “side windows” anyway ...a couple of large high definition TV screens in the cabins/crew areas will do the trick, given the time spent inside looking out compared to actually being outside enjoying the scenery…

A couple of high definition cameras on the outside could even offer a slight panoramic view of the scenery outside, or perhaps chose your own view. Why not a view forward.

When you finally end up in bed and want to catch up on your favourite TV series (yes, I’m old ;-) , the 40 inch screen tucked away suddenly seem small and at the wrong viewing angle ...after all, we are not talking about boarding the main deck windows... ;-)

From a design perspective the design might benefit from it, would less is more work in this case?

Attached Files:

3. brian eiland

Nice looking vessel Kajan.

I assume it is a catamaran? Do you have more images,...you could send them privately if you wish??

That design could also support a head sail that might help with its tacking maneuvers. Admin edit: Link removed, unrelated to hull window discussion
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2023
  4. brian eiland

Unbelievable to build boats with no rubrails ! sail or power
  5. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Thank you, Brian!

Yes, she is a 56 meter Catamaran.
    I only have this image at the moment.
  6. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

If Tom Perkins wasn’t sailing with angels, that square rig cat could be his next 'capitol venture'. Exceptional design, Mike!

Tom was one of our original founding members and provided guidance in the early years. We had a mutual interest in translational lift and met at Markham park to fly one afternoon. Stayed in touch throughout the build of the Maltese Falcon resulting in this review…

https://www.yachtforums.com/review/perini-navi-289-clipper-yacht-maltese-falcon.13488/

At full heel, the side of the Falcon ran submerged. Not a place for windows.

Attached Files:

7. Kajan

Kajan Senior Member

Thank you very much, Carl!
  8. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

Carl, this picture above is exactly the reason, the admiral is forcing me to build a catamaran, if I want to continue sailing (with my family)! Slooping floors and water running across the side deck are the reason, she hates sailing monohulls. Btw. a great picture!
  9. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

I'm a dog lover but Cats are practical. As a hull form it favors windows cause Cats don't heel (pun intended).
  10. brian eiland

Tacking a square rigger thru the wind, rather than wearing-ship has its challenges. I'm working on some new ideas.

Sure wish there was another bold gentleman like Tom Perkins
  11. LuvBigBoats

LuvBigBoats Member

Resurrecting this thread since I've been thinking about downsizing and going to a faster boat. Pretty much all of the candidates that were built in the past 10 years or so have the large hull-side windows and the thought crossed my mind that they are a potential source of either minor leaks or catastrophic failure.

Have any of you heard reports of these large side windows leaking or blowing out, other than the catamaran mentioned in the article cited above? Is it something to really be concerned about on, say, a Sunseeker, Absolute, Riviera or Princess?