Click for Northern Lights Click for Abeking Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Mulder Click for Mag Bay

Motor Yachts for 2?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by garyuki, Sep 13, 2004.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. garyuki

garyuki New Member

What is largest size in length would a husband and wife be able to handle by themselves?
  2. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Hhmmm... I'm not sure size is as much an issue as capable hands onboard when negotiating docks. Once you and your partner get a system established and each person knows their intended roles, two people should be able handle a boat upwards of 70 feet. This is assuming a competent person is at helm control and your mate is proficient with securing lines and fenders. Most importantly, both should be able to adapt quickly to various conditions.

Another thing to consider is ease of access around the boat, i.e., a full walk-around main deck. Another consideration might be how difficult it is to secure lines or fenders on a particular boat. There are mechanical considerations as well, such as bow thrusters. They can really take the workload off your crew and save you a lot of aggravation (or mishaps!).

I don't believe there is a size limit on two person operation. (maybe there is something mentioned in Chapman's?), but I would suggest choosing a boat that you feel comfortable handling together. I would also urge you to consider hiring a captain or someone experienced with your particular vessel to assist you in the transition.

The difference in handling between a 50 foot boat and a 70 foot boat is significant. When you add the nuances of each particular boat, i.e. throttle response, rudder deflection, displacement or line of sight... this equation can be enormous. I state this from my own experience. When we moved from a 57' Hatteras to a 72' Broward... it was like starting all over. It was challenging and humbling at times. It gave me a new respect for captains who handle a variety of boats, especially larger ones.

The largest boat I've handled was 105'. I had the safety-net of an experienced captain standing next to me and a 3 man crew ready to make my mistakes look like proper execution. Had I been alone... I may have left some paint on the pilings.

Whatever boat you plan to purchase, take it out on a sea-trial and make a couple of aborted attempts at docking. Then... check your pulse. That should give you a good gauge as to the right size. ;)
  3. yachtjim

yachtjim Guest

That's some good advice Carl. There is a 75 Grand Alaskan named Eagle that was set up to run by a couple easily. It had full walk around decks, a lower station, engine controls on the aft deck, and a hydraulic bow and stern thruster so you can literally handle that boat by yourself if you are real good, but it is easily managed by a couple. With a hydraulic bow and stern thruster you can literally throw out the Poly Balls, and mash the boat up against a bulkhead while you go out and tie the lines. Once the boat is tied up you can release the thrusters. Since they are hydraulic they can run indefinitely as opposed to electric that "time out".

I think once you get over 80' you are in a whole new league. Although I had a client that owned an 83' Expedition yacht that would run it with just his wife, and it only had a bow thruster. Depends on experience and vessel configuration.