Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross

modern large yacht design vs. safety

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Indigo_Bay, Nov 9, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Indigo_Bay

Indigo_Bay New Member

The other day I was taking some photos of the 70m Feadship built JOY on her arrival in St. Maarten after completing her transatlantic voyage. The yacht was docked in the commercial port in Philipsburg and the crew was busy with carrying out some repairs, washing her down and pumping sludge.

I did notice the space on the main deck between the bow and her superstructure. Enormously sized windows were wide open providing a nice airy spot. But then I also looked at the limited freeboard.

In my further research about her and her designers I also came across these photos in an online publication: https://www.yachtcharterfleet.com/luxury-charter-yacht-48165/joy-photos.htm

When I looked at photo no. 7 and photo no. 15 of 39 and saw these glass sliding panels I was wondering how this solution is going to meet safety standards under the Intl. Ship Construction Cert / SOLAS or similar?

The overall lofty design is very elegant. But was thinking how it might feel onboard when sailing the Atlantic with Bft 7 or more.

Can somebody comment?

DJI_0190_v1.jpg
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I use to think the same, but I am sure the glass is laminated and strong enough to take any wave...

On my old 100 m design with panoramic windows forward, I had a protection in front of them;

100m.png
  3. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

At least she does not have one of those ugly straight up looking bows. :eek: Miami-Dade building codes, required in some LAND BASED cities, include the use of Impact Rated glass which testing video's I've seen on YouTube shows where they shoot a 4" X 4" hunk of wood at the glass being tested, from some type of canon, is impressive, and I would think any glass used in various vessels these days would pass even more stringent testing. Years ago on the old SS Norway, we hit 18-22 ft. seas out of Miami. A shipman with a huge open end wrench entered our cabin, lowered & bolted a thick hinged steel plate over our port hole glass. His comment to my question was, "expected to get worse before better." That was probably long before the development of Impact Glass.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I can assure you that every aspect of safety and water-tight integrity has been studied and scrutinized by both the designers and by Lloyd's Class. If she were built by some on-off yard, I would also be skeptical. But this is a Feadship.
    Indigo_Bay and Kevin like this.
  5. chenkl

chenkl New Member

Big windows are the trend in yacht deaign. So ISO has developed a standard for that. Check
    ISO 11336-2:2020
    Large yachts
    Strength, weathertightness and watertightness of glazed openings
    Indigo_Bay and Capt Ralph like this.
  6. BlueNomad

BlueNomad Member

I've worked with large 'structural' windows several times and the previous responses re: strength & testing and class approval are spot on.

Also, location is rather important. Not just fore & aft (yes, the bow area is designed for higher slamming pressures) but vertically. If the windows are above the bulkhead deck, the vessel might pass stability req'ts with that space considered free flooding.
    Indigo_Bay likes this.
  7. Indigo_Bay

Indigo_Bay New Member

Some interesting feedback.

Without intending to compare apples and pears here and knowing that in particular yachts have much flexibility to adjust their course in case of demanding weather conditions. But observing how the climate changes and researchers forecasting even more severe storms in future I for my part here in the Caribbean have experienced several years ago a CAT3 hurricane which developed within hours from being forecasted as a tropical storm coming from St. Barth’s and passing in between us in St. Maarten and Saba. Our so called Miami impact rated sliders at home started to show a certain level of vibration. Not very comforting.

That memory did become vivid again recently by seeing what happened a few weeks just off Acapulco…

Coming back to JOY. I attach hereto some better pics displaying the situation with the glass panels.

@Ken Bracewell: yes, I fully agree with you in terms of Feadship as builders and having LR as classification society involved during the construction. However, if you compare her design with for instance with Hakvoort’s TOP FIVE II which also have lots of glass then this seems to me somewhat “more promising”.

@chenkl and @BlueNomad: great input! Mthx!

MY JOY_SXM_set2_1280px -001.jpg
    MY JOY_SXM_set2_1280px -002.jpg

Attached Files:

8. Yacht News

Yacht News YF News Editor

I would imagine that area in the bow that serves as the tender garage would have been specifically designed for...in the event of taking on water. While it maybe relatively protected from straight-on seas....a wave coming up beamward would definitely result in water ingress in that area. Which explains the freeing ports integrated into the base of the garage door.