Click for Westport Click for Abeking Click for Mulder Click for Delta Click for Perko

Man D2848LE403 800 hp 5,000 hour cost?

Discussion in 'Cabo Yacht' started by Huff n Puff, Sep 5, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Huff n Puff

Huff n Puff New Member

Looking for round about cost for a 5,000 hour service in Twin MAN D2848LE403 800 hp worst case scenario?
  2. 993RSR

993RSR Senior Member

Assuming they need no kits or parts other than routine... $60,000.
  3. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Estimates to bring our 900-hp versions (common rail version of 403s) back into MAN service schedule (M1-M6, A1, A2) was ~$24K.

Excluded potential corrosion damage to expansion tanks, tube bundles, etc., excluded unforeseen issues, etc etc etc. Tank, $1295; thread repair, $65; tube bundle, $1150, solder, press check, labor, per each, etc.

Dunno how/if the 406 service schedule compares with the 403 schedule.

-Chris
  4. mapism

mapism Senior Member

If by 406 you mean your V8/900 CRM, where did you see them marked as 406?
    In all MAN papers I've seen, they are referenced as 423 - in fact, I'm only aware of a V12 which was marked as LE406.
    But that's just idle curiosity.
    Back to the point, I'm also not aware of the exact differences in service schedule, but I would think your numbers should be somewhat lower for a 403.
    In fact, on top of all the electronic paraphernalia triggered by the common rail (of which there's none at all in the 403), there are also other mechanical differences, like having twice the valves in your CR engines, for instance.
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Welcome to Yacht Forums
    It reads like you are shopping and found a boat with past due services on MAN engines.
    Please consider the possible EXTRA abuse on these engines operating past the required MAN service schedules.

If you can, please post the web link to the boat you are considering.
    Our members may even know of her.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Ah. I had a brain phart. LE 423 is correct, thanks for the heads-up.

I'd suspect 403 rehab to be lower than ours, but don't really know enough about the differences -- other than the electronics -- to justify my suspicion.

The estimate I mentioned was a pre-contract "what if?" exercise. Bubba couldn't produce any (ANY!) engine service records... so I postulated it must not have happened. Had the nearest (to the boat) MAN people take a stab at what it would cost to bring the engines back into schedule compliance.

Actual (eventual) cost was about twice the estimate, since during survey/sea trial the MAN guys also discovered the MMDS boards needed repair, the displays needed repair, B-bank exhaust risers needed replacement (fabrication), one of the expansion tanks needed repair... plus all the little stuff... and it eventually took about 150 labor hours. (Much of this extra cost was addressed in subsequent contract negotiations.)

-Chris
  7. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Let me guess, did they show a totally silly number for engine hours?
    That's a notorious fault of MMDS boards/displays, just a matter of when rather than if it's going to happen! :)
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

One of my favorite board failures, Safety inspector pulls the wire plug off of the fire suppression bottle to simulate a discharge.
    Engines shutdown as they are supposed to,, Never to start and run again..
    Yep, a not so well known board issue. This was after the hour recorder issues were fixed,,, out of pocket..

There were some tense sphincters around the dock that afternoon..
  9. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Not clear from my records what the symptoms really were. Survey wording was:

21. Port/Stbd displays; Port reverts to metric, Stbd has lines in the screen; recommend refurbishing both displays.
    22. Port/Stbd MMDS boards engine hours are erratic; recommend repairing both boards.​

Not a surprise. Engines at the time were at ~1570 hours. I'd read prior to all this that MMDS boards and display would likely be an issue, either immediately or sometime "soon." Sure enough.

-Chris
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Yup, 22 is precisely what I meant.
    Never heard of 21, and neither of what CR is saying.
    Then again, with electronic gizmos, the sky is the limit to faults variety! :D
  11. Sarnico

Sarnico New Member

Guys sorry to ask this silly question but where do I get to see engine hours, I get 4 pages but none of them show the hours o_O
  12. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Are you are referring to the engine in the title of this thread?
    If so, being 100% mechanical, it wasn't supplied with the engine control display (aka MMDS, in MAN jargon).

It could be retrofitted, though imho it's not worth the hassle at all.
    In fact, it would miss a lot of data anyhow, either because the engine didn't come with some sensors like the EGT and turbo pressure probes, and/or because such data is only available from the ECU, like load, fuel burn, and also the engine hours. ECU that the engine just doesn't have!

So, having said that if you have the LE403 V8s with the MMDS displays you'd better expect just a fraction of the data they are supposed to show, here's how the page that includes the engine hours should look like... MMDS page.jpg
  13. Sarnico

Sarnico New Member

Hi Mapsim, I am an Idiot sorry - I overread the 2848 not my engines I have the old V10s with the archaic LCD pixel displays... !!
  14. ChiTown

ChiTown Member

I have the 403's and did the same service as ranger including rebuilding the water pumps, testing and replacing (about half) the injectors, plus the oil cooler gaskets replacement. Travel and shipping between Knoxville and Wilmington , DE = $27.5k in 2019
  15. Ben Cooksey

Ben Cooksey Member

Just expect more than you think to bring any overdue MAN or any marine diesel back to good condition. We had our 2848-423 (CR900's) serviced back in June was 25k but during the valve lash found a worn valve that required a new head which was another 10k with labor. Also found a few other issues. There will always be something to replace on old engines. To my knowledge most MAN parts are available but can be hard to find often need to be shipped from Germany.
  16. butch w

butch w Member

Ben, do you have any pictures of the worn valve ? thanks.
  17. Ben Cooksey

Ben Cooksey Member

Mod Edit: images reduced to fit our format. Please read the rules on image sizes.

Attached Files:

18. Ben Cooksey

Ben Cooksey Member

The first photo is the head with the circled exhaust valve that was measuring very high during the valve lashing. The second is the worn valve. The third is a normal valve. Im fairly certain previous owners skimped on maintenance.
  19. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

This afternoon, next week or month, but sometime in your future; That valve was going to come apart.
    Uh Oh !!
    It was very smart to dive into this now.
    IMO, CYA; New valves and seats for the whole engine.
  20. Ben Cooksey

Ben Cooksey Member

So our mechanic recommended pulling all the heads and sending them to TX for inspection as that is the only way to put eyes on the valves and seats. That's a big job. I think we plan to keep the boat long term it's the best thing to do.
    Capt Ralph likes this.