Click for Mulder Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Delta Click for Glendinning

Maine Hurricane

Discussion in 'Marinas & Waypoints' started by gcsi, Sep 11, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gcsi

gcsi Member

Came up into Penobscot Bay (Belfast) to haul and install new Stab fin. The good news is the only damage to boat was Stab fin; the bad news is we may get hit by a hurricane!

My initial thought is to run as far east (Portland) as soon (Tuesday) as I can. The reasoning is as follows:

- The swell preceding the storm should start to build. Every days delay makes for a lumpier ride.

- My Belfast Dock doesn’t appear to be “storm worthy”….
    The Dockmaster tells me they do well in most wind, however, SE winds are their Achilles Heel. The jetty and pillings will be topped in anything more than a 35 kt southeast wind. He also says they may pull docks for the storm. If he makes a late pull decision, I’m hosed…

- Most marinas have stopped accepting transients.

- Striking out on getting a haul and placed on hard. Marinas busy pulling customers boats for season and storm.

- A total Maine virgin. Not at all comfortable with anchoring.

Even though the storms is too far away to accurately predict, it “appears” that eastward should be best bet to stay on weak side. Additionally, the Marina I can access in Portland does have storm worthy docks. I travel with hurricane lines and am comfortable securing boat given good docks.

does anyone see flaws in my logic.
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

If you're headed to Portland, please go west. It will take you much less time than going east! Which marina in Portland are you planning to go to?
    Please remind me what type of boat you have. How many anchors. Size and size of chain? Length of chain? To be honest, if you have decent gear I would recommend sitting it out at anchor rather than at a dock. I've riden out a few pretty good blows in Pulpit Harbor on North Haven. It is very well protected, has excellent mud holding, and high bluffs all around the harbor.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

You had me confused for a minute talking about running east…. Looks like you mean west which makes a lot more sense :)

at this point it looks like it will make landfall east of or close to the border with Canada as a Tripical storm. That s roughly 100+ nm from where you are.

yes it is a 5 day forecast with a significant margin of error but the conditions make it less likely that the track is off. NHC track forecast have become incredibly accurate even at 5 days but what the are far less accurate with is intensity forecasts. That said, It doesn’t seem like it will maintain hurricane status at landing but you never know. Also, when hurricanes weaken in the North Atlantic and transition to post or extra tropical, the wind field expands while the peak winds come down. So yes Maine will get some tropical storm winds

If you can head west, you will be further away with weaker winds. Worth it.
  4. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

It really depends on where you can go in Portland. Most marinas are open to wind fetch. That's why I like Penobscott Bay Area- there are lots of small holes, and Pulpit Harbor is one of the best.
  5. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Confused a bit...you're hauled now, but you cannot remain hauled for the few extra days? Secure in place?
  6. gcsi

gcsi Member

Sorry about East/West confusion. Tried mightily to remain on the hard in Belfast, yard would not yield and insisted on a splash.

I’ve ridden out a few hurricanes on the hook, no interest in repeating; as a Plan B maybe.

We have a reservation at Fore Points Marina in Portland. While exposed, they do have a good wave attenuation system. I’ve stayed at Fore Points previously, truly a state of the art marine. I have a high confidence level relative to their docks.

My typical hurricane routine is to string boat between fairways, leave SeaKeeper running and get a hotel room. Since this is a Jr. storm, I may stay on boat, will be a last minute decision.
  7. captainwjm

captainwjm Senior member

Please update us on how you fare, Fore Points is new and hasn’t had this type of storm during the boating season.