Click for Glendinning Click for Furuno Click for Abeking Click for Abeking Click for Cross

Looking to Purchase a Viking 45 to 50 Sportfish

Discussion in 'Viking Yacht' started by jln007, Sep 7, 2008.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. jln007

jln007 New Member

Hi - I am shopping for a Viking Sportfish in the 45 to 50 range in the late 80's to mid 90's. I live in NC where the seas can be rough. Is this boat dry? Does it handle well in 3-5 ft seas? What are your thoughts on the 45, 47, and 50?
    Thanks for the help.
    JLN007
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Don't have any personal knowledge, but my marina neighbor had a 48 that he brought up from Florida every year without complaints. He fishes the canyon coming out from Montauk all summer with no complaints. This summer he moved up to a 50 and got caught out in a squall that blew through with 80 kt. winds and he still seems happy. I will say that 3 to 5' seas are a joke for any decent SF. My boss has a 50 Viking SC, but that's a Princess hull. Dealing with Viking in NJ has always been good, and we've had this in 7' seas and it was fine.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I ran a 2001 50' Viking SF with 1050 mans. It ran like a raped ape and cruised at 36 knots. The boat was stable. You do have to start backing it down in 3-5' seas, unlike the newer hatt 54'. The 48' Viking SF is a little wet from what I've heard. If you have the money a new style 54' Hatteras SF is one hell of a boat. With C30's you can run cruise 32 knots straight into 6' seas and not feel a thing and it's dry. It is a terrific riding boat.
  4. jimbo62

jimbo62 New Member

viking

I currently own a (1991) 45 viking. When shopping I also looked at the 48.

the 45 from that era is a better running boat - just a little bit drier. At 44,000 pounds it is not a light boat and you will give up a little speed against some other boats, but you will value that mass and the v hull when it gets rough.
    any time that I have had a question for the viking factory they have called me back promptly and have been very helpful. It is a fairly popular hull that has held up well over time. My biggest gripe is the older detroit engines are heavy and don't move you as fast as the newer technology.
    You cant really go wrong with these boats, though...
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

I concur with Jimbo62.
    The 48 pounds noticeably more than the 45.
    The 45 was built with 6-71s and 6V-92s; speed sells, so if you're interested in the eventual resale down the road, the bigger motors will help.
    Finally, the preferred (of the threeoffered) layout is the two-stateroom-one head version which gives you a very large dinette.

The MAN-powered 50 is a hotrod, no doubt.