Click for Perko Click for Glendinning Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger Click for Westport

Looking for insight on Princess 62 and 65

Discussion in 'Princess Yacht' started by CSWO, Nov 14, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CSWO

CSWO New Member

I recently sold my 61’ Viking sportfish and looking to move into a flybridge cruising boat for use along East Coast and Bahamas. I’ve spent 6 months looking a various boats and recently spent a couple days at FLIBS. I’d like something in the 65’ range +/- that can cruise at 20 kts. We’ll be using the boat for a couple of months of cruising north in the summer and south in the winter. I’m very tall and have narrowed down my list to a 2020 Princess F62 and a 2016 S65. I’m planning a sea trial for both, but would like to get feedback from anyone who has spent time running either one of these boats or similar boats in the Princess line.
  2. Liam

Liam Senior Member

I think the question here is if you want a larger flybridge and saloon for the F62.
    The F62 is really a stretched 62 footer, and was an evolution Princess 60 mk.2 from 2011-16.

I think the S65 has a lot going for her, four cabins, double inside and outside dinette, and a flybridge which for a sport bridge is very spacious.
    Most important I think the lines are still very actual.
    A new S65 is coming replacing the S66, which is basically still nearly the same boat with some really minor stylistic changes.
    So even though the S65 is an older boat she has aged and I would think will age much better.

Probably if you plan to staying onboard/liveaboard in the colder months (probably not much of these in Florida) the F62 might be better suited for this.

As for riding I rode the V62 2008-(S)12-15 and that boat really rode nice and comfortable. The one I tested was a 2009 with Man 1200hp and I really liked her, with a very calm and controlled composure.
    CSWO likes this.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Go with a 66' Sunseeker Manhattan. Much better sea boat, and better build quality. I ran a 62' Princess Flybridge back from the Panama Canal to Ft. Laud and a few others, it is not that great of a seaboat and the build quality leaves little to be desired....pounds and rolls a good bit.......Cabin doors coming unlatched and slamming open on their own in very moderate seas because the interior walls are moving for starters.....seakeeper very undersized.......I ran the 66' manhattan all over the Bahamas and to Guatamala and back from Fort Lauderdale. I've had both in nasty seas.

If you're coming out of a 61' Viking, you'll be very disappointed in the ride of a Princess.
  4. Liam

Liam Senior Member

True statement, also because length to length a sportfisher is bigger, wider, and heavier yacht.

I do not know if this still holds today but in Summer 2016 I was a captain on a Cayman Yachts 58 WA-HT, and a trip in Sicily resulted in rough seas with wave 6 to 9 foot waves upwind and to the nose.
    I drove at about seventeen knots with the Cayman, and no problem beside that some after I moored in the marina , two Princess's followed a 78 and 72 which come from a following sea, and both had there head liner all fallen and had to waste a day fixing things up. The 78 MY was in a worse shape to the 72, which is apparently something common with this series.
  5. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Just curious, are you possibly referring to a grey hull boat called E.M.?
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Whatever euro boat you buy, make sure it is setup to work here in the US…. Our docks and marinas are very different from Europe and we need rub rails along with the capability to board from a side fixed dock.

Generally speaking, Sunseekers may be great boat but most aren’t set up for side fixed dock boarding. There is a 60ish just two slips down and whenever the owner brings guests on board they struggle to get on. And it a bit the only one I ve seen. No side gate, you have to climb over bulging sides trying to get a foothold on a cleat or deck winch. Very entertaining for the neighbors.

same with many Princess.

here in the US and Bahamas, 3/4 of the slips have wooden pilings and fixed piers.
    CSWO likes this.
  7. CSWO

CSWO New Member

I appreciate all the insight and perspective. As background, I’ve narrowed my search down to the two Princess boats at this point because they have the headroom I’m looking for (barely). At 6’6” there are almost no boats in the 65’ range that also cruise at 20kts where I don’t hit my head - usually in the master cabin, head or on the flybridge. I understand that none of these boats are going to ride like a Viking, but I don’t believe there are many flybridge cruising boats in this size range that do. I had a headroom issue when I toured that Manhattan 68, although I’ve seen so many boats (30+) I don’t remember where that was. Someone suggested I consider the new CLB65 boat as they said it has 78”+ headroom in all the key areas, but that is one boat I haven’t seen and don’t know much about. Any experience with the CL boats?
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Tell them to put their foot in the engine room vent and step right over. It isn't rocket science. There is a nice ledge at the bottom of the ER vent you can put your entire foot on. The 60' Hatteras is no different. Or install a tide ride or removable step, or side doors can be ordered now from several of the popular Euro builders.
  9. Liam

Liam Senior Member

Yes.
  10. mapism

mapism Senior Member

I see. She has been in my marina in recent years, as you probably know.
    Can't say she's my cup of tea, but a nice boat in more ways than one.
  11. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

so you have to step in the vent, slippery gel coat, then swing a leg over and land your foot between the winch, cleat and chock…. I could easily do it but not older people or many women… oh and nothing to grab on.

Attached Files:

12. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The 60' Hatteras MY is the same way. You can clearly see the bow rail is there to grab onto and the cleat. Or buy a set of Marquipt stairs just like other yachts for boarding from a fixed dock. Or order the boat with side doors. I don't see that style as anything different than any other MY manufacturer in that size range.
  13. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Ordering a side door works when buying new but in this case the thread is about boats that are a few years old…. This means the gate would have to be retrofitted and looking at the example in the picture there is no way to add one because of the ER vents. Unless you go further forward, amidship which on most docks will not work as the fingers will be too short.

And yes the 60 hatt MY isn’t a great design either.
  14. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Please show me a modern motoryacht under 70' that does have a good design
  15. mapism

mapism Senior Member

You may come up with dozens of other criticisms (and I already know you will), but with regard to the specific point which is being discussed, the Magellano 66 comes standard with very convenient doors on both cockpit sides.

BTW, while she ain't as fast as some other boats mentioned, she's still capable of 20kts cruise which is what the OP is looking for - though in fairness she's more interesting for anyone who would like to use her also at a somewhat slower pace.
    Oh, and in terms of headroom, she's way better than any 'hattan in most if not all interiors.
  16. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I hate to say this but many small mutts :) have side gates aft that can be used. You don’t even need bulky stairs as a three stepper on the dock usually works well.

heck, even that Johnson 70 I ran 10 years ago had not only side gates aft but also had a flat step all the way aft behind the cleats by the transom stairs that you could easily step on from the side. See picture.

Even many Ferretis have side gates… so do now defuncts Marquis and many more.

Attached Files:

17. mapism

mapism Senior Member

Agreed.
    If we go back in time a bit, I can think of several other builders/models equipped with decent side gates.
    S/skr just ain't among them, but that comes with the territory, so to speak.
    They always aimed at flashy rather than practical design...
  18. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Sunseekers have doors and they're available as an option on Princess yachts also. Zoom in and look at the bow-rail all of the way aft, it's mounted on a side door.
    Sunseeker | Sport Yacht | Welcome to the Sunseeker 65 Sport Yacht
  19. mapism

mapism Senior Member

The OP specifically said he's looking for a flybridge boat.
    I'd put S/skr sport yachts in the toyboats rather than the flybridge category.
    It's no coincidence that they are IPS powered, in fact - heaven forbid...! :(
  20. Liam

Liam Senior Member

The poster is looking at the S65, which is a sport bridge model, like the 65 Sport Yacht, or the older 68 Sport Yacht 2013-20.
    Previous Ss68SY was actually equipped with shafts, for twin 1600hp usually by Mans, which probably fit more in the budget of the Princess 62 or S65.

Interesting not many builders ventured into sport bridges under 21/22 meters. Princess, Sunseeker, and Riva with the 66 Ribelle where the exception.
    Riva also had the SportRiva 56 produced from 2007 to 12.
    Pershing did the 74 for some time, but never went under this size, Azimut had the 72S, then the S7 all above seventy feet, and in 2021 introduced the S6 with sport bridge at about sixty feet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.