Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Perko Click for Abeking Click for Burger

Late season Maine migration???

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by gcsi, Oct 1, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. gcsi

gcsi Member

To those of you familiar with cruising in the NE, I need a bit of advice.

The boat (75 MY) is currently laying in Portland, Maine. Unfortunately, life reared its ugly head and is making it difficult for me to begin a southern migration. Should be able to clear all issues by late October and be available to resume cruising full time November 1st.

Conceptually, I would like to chug from Maine, through the Cape Cod Canal, Long Island Sound to NYC. From NYC to Norfolk via the Chesapeake. After Norfolk I’m not worried. Going northbound in late July was easypeasy…

Is a November departure from Maine pushing my luck relative to weather?

Alternatively, I can hire captain and have delivered to upper Chesapeake or Norfolk and join boat there on November 1st.

If I start early November in Maine, I was looking forward to dallying around from Maine to NYC and checking out a few places (Falmouth, Newport, possibly areas of Cape). Alternatively, I could do a death march and get to Chesapeake ASAP. Opinions on both options?

I’m a NE virgin so zero experience with respect to local weather patterns.

OPTIONS:
    1) Hire captain to relocate boat now (early Oct.)?
    2) Depart on November 1st and dally my way to NYC, then hustle to Chesapeake?
    3) Depart November 1st and death march to upper Chesapeake and or Norfolk?

Thanks for any input.

Brett
  2. MBevins

MBevins Senior Member

PM sent
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd get it out of there now. Nov 1st is pretty late, especially to by dallying around. I'm available.
  4. ychtcptn

ychtcptn Senior Member

Your issue will be available fuel docks, make sure you call ahead.
    Soulstice likes this.
  5. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

We often leave Connecticut on or after November 1. We cruise at 23 knots, so Portland is only 2 days away from here. We have found over the years that a few days on the calendar are meaningless compared to actual weather conditions. Watch for a window and put as many miles under your keel as possible when possible.

Depending on your cruise speed and range, fuel should not be an issue with some advanced planning.
  6. gcsi

gcsi Member

First of all, I want to say thank you for all the advice and insights.

For a number of reasons, have decided to make the run beginning Nov 1st. The one advantage I have is being able to get up and cruise at 23kts as a "Plan B". If weather windows get extremely compressed and chugging just doesn't work; my plan is to let the puppies breathe and run during short weather windows.

My run like hell scenario;
    - Run from Portland to Newbedford (fuel)
    - Chug from New Bedford to Block Island (prep for EARLY morning departure).
    - Run from Block Island to Cape May (fuel)
    - Run from Cape May to Norfolk
    Not much fun, but it is quick.

I doubt that I'll be able to do the calculus until near departure time. Even then, will re-calculate at every stop re running vs chugging.

Will report back with a blow by blow...
  7. Sea Gull

Sea Gull Member

This is a very workable plan A. Consider that Block Island will be pretty dead in early November. I’d probably try to get to Montauk, which won’t be thriving, but will have more available in the way of dockage and restaurants.

Is Norfolk your final destination? It seemed from you prior post that you will be continuing south. Consider Ocean City, MD as an alternative to Cape May. This would allow you to get to Coinjock the next day and then an easy ride to Beaufort or even Wrightsville after that (unless you decide to “chug”).

We plan to be about 4 days ahead of you. OC on 10/29, Coinjock on 10/30, Wrightsville on 10/31, Charleston on 11/1… but you never know.
  8. Fred fred

Fred fred New Member

I have been leaving from Cape Cod on November 1st for the last twenty years. No problem.