Click for Walker Click for Cross Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for YF Listing Service

Kenyan electric grill 120v or 220?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Matt46post, Feb 1, 2018.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Hi
    I woukd like to put a Kenyon electric grill on my boat , I have 120&220v on board but it’s always more work to run 220v ...is it worth the extra to go 220 vs the 120v unit? ..anybody have a good used one forsale?
    Matt
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

YES, it will use 1/2 as much electricity (amps) in 220 volt.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Neither. Get a Miele.

A little more money but a lot stronger. I ve tried two different Kenyons, both 220v. The first one had the digital control which failed twice. First time replaced under warranty, second time also under warranty but in has them "downgrade" to conventional control. Apparently the digital could t handle the heat of the grill plus the direct sunlight

Even with the conventional knob, it wasn't hot enough to sear. Pulled it after a few months and bought the Miele. Night n day.
  4. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks for the info I didn’t even know they made grills I will check them out
  5. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thank you
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

Jenn air makes a good one also.
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

We install one from Siemens in our boats...

Siemens grill.jpg
  8. Bill106

Bill106 Senior Member

Another recommendation for Miele and they actually have a marine division! Although I didn't see any difference in this particular 220V grill.

Attached Files:

9. Calvin Wagner

Calvin Wagner New Member

Getting back to the electrical specifications, it really depends... What do you have room for in your distribution? How long is the wire going to be? Is it a dedicated circuit from your switchboard, or are you running it out of a panel; does that panel have adequate power to serve it?

In general, I like to follow this rule of thumb with design work: Over 15A? Over 120V. And might I stress "in general", I understand there are instances where you'd need 20A/30A 120V service.

10. PacBlue

PacBlue Senior Member

120V Grills have little to no practical value as a cooking appliance onboard. 220V is a must have if you ever plan on actually using your grill, keeping in mind that you have to keep it clean as well.

The 15" S.S. specialty units such as Miele or Gaggenau really shine if you want to grill effectively. The extra expense is worth it in my opinion.
  11. Seasmaster

Seasmaster Senior Member

The Kenyon has served me well. It's a counter-top model with manual knob. Even cooking; sear marks. Tasty burgers. Just add beer!!