Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Mulder Click for Cross

Keeping the Heat Out

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Worthyvess, Jun 5, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

South shore long island and fort lauderdale
    my husband's latest project on our 53 Navigator... Leaving it for the summer and want to try to keep it as cool as possible. He bought Reflectix insulation on a roll from Lowes. He cut it and placed and/or taped it to the windows. I tried to upload a picture from my iPhone but error message said it was too large. oh well. I thought it was a great idea! Definitely helps!
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

That will also keep out light, so be sure to monitor the boat for mold / mildew, and keep a dehumidifier going. Also use tape that can be left for long periods without leaving reidue, such as some painter's tapes.
  3. dennismc

dennismc Senior Member

If you use painters tape from H.D. it is terrible stuff when it gets wet, almost impossible to get off, try and get the plastic backed tape, like fine line or auto body shop supply store has good stuff usually.
  4. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

Oh the unintended consequences! We do have the air conditioner set on dehumidify. Do you think that is enough? The boat is in Longboat Key.
    He only taped it to one of the glass doors so that could always be razored off if need be. Otherwise they just sit against the windows under the blinds. But that is good to know about the HD painters tape.
    Thanks so much NYCAP and Dennismc!
    Mark Potter likes this.
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I'd put out a bunch of Damp Rids, especially in SRs and bilges. As for the tape, Goof Off should get the residue off pretty well.
  6. Worthyvess

Worthyvess Member

Ok thanks, good idea