Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Westport

Just discovered my boat is a salty

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by 1000 islands, Jul 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

I have been having some issues with batteries and when I was boost starting my starboard engine, I noticed water coming from under the port side manifold.

I assumed it was a gasket, but when they pulled the manifold it was corroded right through in 2 spots.

The mechanic immediately said "I thought you told me this was a freshwater boat?"

Well I thought it was but I guess not.

I went back and looked at all the paperwork from the purchase and it does say freshwater use only.

So I called the broker and discovered they are no longer around.

I am in Canada so I have 2 questions: do I have any recourse to the seller /

And should I change all manifolds now or wait until they fail?
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

How old is this boat? Metal corrodes in Salt and Freshwater. In the exhaust you have sulphur from the fuel mixed with water which is sulphuric acid and guess what - This is corrosive.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

If it's a gas engine, absolutely change all manifolds and risers. It's recommended you do them every 5 years in saltwater, not sure what the recommendation is for freshwater. But usually when they go bad on a gas inboard, they fill the cylinders with water and you need to rebuild the entire engine. I've seen them only go a little over 3 years in saltwater use (rare). If one rotted completely through, the others probably are in the same condition.
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Usually sells are as is. Brokers in the states are usually without any liability. Most surveyors also.
    It's a boat and stuff happens.
    Replace all now and do a compression check before and after the manifolds are replaced. If you had a lil moisture in the cylinder, letting sit will just make it worse or totaled.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

If you have written representation stating it had only been used in fresh water and you have conclusive and proven evidence that was false and seller knew it to be false, then you have a legal position to seek a remedy. However, the standard of proof is high and the cost of winning such a case is high.

I can't see that you have that proof.

I think people over value the statements of "freshwater boats." They assume that there's no corrosion or other deterioration caused in fresh water. I lived on a lake which was one of many on a river that many lower units looked like they'd been in salt water.
  6. RB480

RB480 Senior Member

Just because it's corroed through doesn't mean it's a saltwater boat. Is there any evidence on the sea strainers, rust in the engine room, or corrosion on the window frames?

In my opinion you would see all of the above items before seeing a corroed manifold.

A little research shows that you have a 1989 boat, while its not common for corrosion to happen in freshwater on the manifolds it definitely has happened.
  7. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Almost every listing I've ever seen contains something like this:
    "Disclaimer
    The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice."

Also, if the boat is more than a few years old or had more than one owner, I can't imagine any broker or even former owner tracing a boat's history to find out that the 3rd owner back kept the boat in salt water for a time. The only possible recourse I could see would be against your surveyor for not finding the damage, and I highly doubt that.
  8. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

1989 manifolds, even if origional are far past their life expectancy even in freshwater. You're talking 26 years old. Given the age, the exhaust manifolds rotting out is no indicator that the boat was used in saltwater.
  9. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Thanks all for your comments.

I will replace all other manifolds and risers after my wife's vacation schedule.

Out of 5 weeks, so far 4 have gone bad........including 2 weeks stranded on the Erie Canal
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

All part of the adventure (and not a cheap one). Boaters live by "Plan B".
  11. olderboater

Did any of this show up in the survey you got at purchase time?

I would recommend finding a good boatyard and getting this all addressed plus things checked thoroughly or you may find yourself chasing forever.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

As much as we want to many times, we can not beat up the surveyors (much).
    I don't think a seprate engine survey has been mentioned.
    Corrosion and failures like this are usually hidden till it's to late.
    Replacing old manifolds per schedule is who's responsibility?

For hits and giggles I would luv to see the ad and survey.
  13. olderboater

I'm betting there was no engine survey....and that's the reminder I'm making.
  14. 1000 islands

1000 islands Member

Their was not an actual engine survey, but the boat sat at a marina for 5 years and had the same mechanic from day one.

When I spoke to him he said the engine and the rest of the mechanics were in good condition and that he checked it each year at launch and again before winterizing.

I like NYCAP123's comment...I'm working on Plan "B"
  15. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The mechanic fixes what breaks and performs annual maintenance when asked to. He doesn't tear apart working motors. He also probably works on another 100 or 2 each year. That's why big boats have engineers, captains or managers to keep track of what needs doing when. On smaller boats those 3 guys are the owner. How many small boat owners do you know who are capable of doing their jobs? I'm thrilled if I find one who will do the daily ER check I teach them.