Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Furuno Click for Abeking

Information on yacht building materials

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Soton1, Nov 28, 2005.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Soton1

Soton1 New Member

I'm doing an assignment on a boat constructed using the materials listed below. I know very little about them, and I am having trouble finding information on them.

Biaxial and unidirectional glass fibre with iosphthalic polyester resin

Hull: Balsa core full sandwich structure

Deck: Divinycell foam core sandwich structure

Hand laid seamless composite structure

Gel coat including stripe

Does anyone know anywhere I might find out about them, or know any information about the materials themselves?

Thank you for any help you can give.
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Hi,

The materials used is what you normally find in all "plastic" boats from the last 30 years or so. Sometimes balsa in the deck and divinycell in the hull or both of the same material. Is it an old boat?
  3. Soton1

Soton1 New Member

Re: Materials

No, it is a new boat. It's the Bladerunner 35. (see www.icemarine.com)
  4. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

OK, a little surprising that they build this boat this way. I would have expected infusion with Nida Core and vinylester and also some carbon fibre in the stringers.

But anyway. First in the mold is the gelcoat that gives the surface and colour. Hand laid means you roll out polyester on the fibres, layer after layer. Let´s say you put half of it first and then you add the core material (as a sandwich) and then the rest of fibre and polyester. Inside you finish it off with topcoat to make it look nicer where the glass is visible.

That is about it, after a day or so you can break it out of the mold and fit the pieces together...
  5. Soton1

Soton1 New Member

That's great. Thanks a lot for your help.