Click for Northern Lights Click for Furuno Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Walker

Hull Versilcraft Supervanguard

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Peterv30, May 12, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Peterv30

Peterv30 New Member

can someone tell me something about the construction of the bottom from an versilcraft supervanguard? May be with some pictures?

Peter
  2. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

Here are some pictures from a rebuild I found on the net;

vers1.jpg vers2.jpg vers3.jpg
  3. Peterv30

Peterv30 New Member

Thanks!!
  4. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Are these boats what they call cold molded fiberglass hulls? Are all of the versilcrafts built this way? Is this construction method plagued with problems verses a solid glass hull? I noticed an 88' versilcraft in long beach California forsale ,it seemed like a lot of boat for the money
  5. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

img.jpg
    The Versilcraft you have seen is a molded/solid fiberglass hull. It is built in a mold that was extended a couple of times from originally 66' to over 90'. Good liveaboard boats but not superyacht quality. I have spent two years on a 66' so I know them pretty well...
  6. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thanks AMG for the info, they are sexy looking boats, I am surprised that over 20' has been added to a 66' boat, I guess that explains the master stateroom forward in the bow on this boat, detroits 16v engines seem like a lot of power for this boat if it was an originally 66', when you say not super yacht quality where do they fall short?somebody painted everything such a bright white on the interior of the boat it makes the stone floors and countertops look worn out and dirty
  7. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

I can not say if they modified the hull when they extended it, but the interiors look very similar. I have a couple of pictures here. We had 2x820 MAN V10 and it was not very fast, pretty similar figures as this one with twice the Hp. The quality issues are mainly how things are installed, when you look behind the scenes there are a lot of hanging cables... But on a boat still running, I guess many weak points are sorted out.

IMG_7646.jpg IMG_7645.jpg
  8. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

I would assume the boat in long beach probably had clear coated cabinets on the main deck and they probably yellowed so bad from sun damage they decided to paint them all bright white ,it's to bad they didn't go the something more subtle ,it looks like a clown show on the main deck,it looks like they put Home Depot laminate flooring in the boat, the picture you posted of the boat looks like it was prior to a repaint, blacking out the areas around the windows and down the sides really makes a big difference ....would suggest buying a versilcraft of this vintage and size?
  9. AMG

AMG YF Moderator

As with all boats, you need a good surveyor to check everything, from engines to osmosis. Besides this, they are as I say good liveaboard boats with a lot of space for the money. I also like the Falcon 80+ which can have custom interiors that are very nice and good value. But these boats are not very good sea boats and have high running costs, fuel and maintenance of their big engines....
  10. Matt46post

Matt46post Senior Member

Thank you AMG for the info
    k