Click for YF Listing Service Click for YF Listing Service Click for Perko Click for Nordhavn Click for Burger

How does one sink a yacht?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by WriterGirl, Jul 25, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

She needs to have enough time get back on the dock and out of harms way

Backstroke..

Or a wet bike pops up after the yacht sinks.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I just remembered the first Pirates of the Caribbean, Jack Sparrow (Captain) sails his pram to the dock and steps off. Next seen, it's under the dock.
  3. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

If you need fire and a fuse situation to give time for your subjects to get away, yet still burn and destroy the yacht, then diesel is a hard call.

Add a tender space/garage where there is an amount of petrol stored for the dinghy motors, larger tender and jet ski's plus the petrol in the tanks of these items.
    Then your heroine can throw a safety flare onto a well laid out line of petrol to the petrol storage tank etc.
    Or:
    If you want to get fancy, grab a toaster out the galley or crew quarters, place on the petrol line, fill with dry rags and push down the toaster and wait for the fire to set off the explosion.

Yep, I have met some angry girls in my life.
  4. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

That seems like a simple and effective way of doing it! And it seems like something I - who, again, knows nothing about yachts except that they're beautiful - could describe without getting too many terms wrong. If she were to smash these sea valves, how long would it take for the bad guy to realize that something is wrong? Thank you very much for your help!

And nooo, I promise this isn't for an insurance scam. I wouldn't have posted this question on a public forum that I joined using my real email address if I was planning on actually sinking someone's ship in real life =)
  5. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

That seems like an effective way of doing it! Yes, it is going to happen at the dock. I'm sure it would be reasonable for a wrench to be somewhere on the ship. My character slips away to "use the restroom" while the bad guy stays up on the sundeck mulling over the argument they just had. He's not really bad, as in evil, he's just a rich playboy who's trying to buy her affection by showering her with extravagant gifts - such as a yacht. So, when she goes down to use the restroom, she can sneak into to the engine room, open the sea strainers, remove the handles on all sea cocks - using a wrench - and then pull the fuses/breakers on the bilge pumps. Got it.

Now, this is probably a stupid question, but that's why I'm here... Does the yacht have to be ON for this destruction to do the trick? o_O

Thank you very much for your help! I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  6. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

Oh wow! I like the toaster idea! It seems like something a woman would do - Hahaha. So this would cause an explosion - which is great, because that would be loud and I'm assuming it would cause the ship to rock or shudder, both of which would alert the antagonist. What would an explosion like this do to the yacht itself? I mean... Does the sinking happen because the explosion causes a hole that lets water in, or does it crack the....... hull? Or....?

Thank you very much for your ideas and I'm sorry you've met such crazy women! We're not all like that. Some of us CAN, in fact, resist the little voice of our crazy side.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2015
  7. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

Sorry I wasn't more specific! Yes, the boat is at the dock. He takes her there, shows it to her, they go on board, and then she's going to sink it while he sits up on the sundeck mulling over the argument they just had. It does just need to sink in place at the dock.
  8. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

If she were to cut the hose for the generator cooling intake and remove the through hull fittings, what would be the result? I mean, what would happen that causes the yacht to sink? This seems like a quick and easy option that she could do in the amount of time it would take to "use the restroom". He wouldn't be wondering what's taking her so long and go looking for her... Thank you very much for you help!
  9. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

I have read books that describe ships sinking. But it's always while they're out at sea getting caught in a storm or when they run aground. And my ship is at the dock on a sunny, clear day. Besides, regurgitating what someone else wrote be plagiarism. And I'd like my story to be at least somewhat original :)
  10. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If the genset was running and you cut the SW line there would no doubt be an alarm for no water supply or exhaust overheat, then there would be a hi bilge alarm, the latter would also come if you let water in from another source.

I have read books where things supposedly happen and there are errors with what's described, missing some technical details will not mean much to those reading a work of fiction.

It will of course make a difference if this is a trick you are going to try yourself on someone's boat.
  11. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

I'm not too worried about getting every single little detail down to a tee - I just want it to be believable. I don't want someone who happens to know a lot about yachts to read it and be like, "What the heck is she talking about? That couldn't possibly happen in real in life."
  12. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

This is the internet, I do not feel it is an appropriate place to discuss in detail how to carry out what will be in many jurisdictions illegal and in all downright dangerous.
  13. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

I understand what you're saying. I've been given a few simple scenarios I think I can work with for what I need to happen and where the story needs to go next.

I really appreciate everyone's help! Thank you all very much!
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If this book is a work of fiction it will no doubt include a claim somewhere along the lines of: All characters in this publication are fictitious and any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely co incidental.

You could add the term "scenarios described" after characters and all inaccuracies would be covered
  15. WriterGirl

WriterGirl Guest

That is a fantastic suggestion! I will be sure to do that.
  16. bernd1972

bernd1972 Senior Member

With broken sea valves / strainers for the cooling water intake you won´t notice something is wrong unless you enter the engine room for quite some time. When you notice that the behaviour of the boat changed and it´s motions start to feel feels soft and less stable you allready have lots of water in your engine room and it´s getting difficult to locate the damage and do something reasonable to get back control of that situation.
    An alarm switch for bilge water can be cheated/blocked if it´s not an electronic sensor but an old fashioned flaoting switch.

Explosion szenario: a minor fuel explosion would not damages the hull/structure of the boat seriously unless it causes a fire. Polyesther GRP burns pretty strong and with plenty of black smoke.
    If a fuel explosion is strong enough to cause severe structural damage it´s also strong enoug to be seriously dangerous to everybody aboard. Generally gasoline does not have the power of typical explosives when not in a perfect ratio wit the surrounding air. You can´t control a fuel explosion unless it´s in the cylinders of an engine.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  17. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

So the plot is a girl doesn't like her sugar daddy because she doesn't like the gift of a yacht? Did she want a jet? She sounds spoiled and needs a spanking. That said...

All these water intrusion scenarios are great but what about high water alarms, assuming there are no crew on this yacht and it's just the sugar daddy, then you need to get the sugar daddy away from the yacht. Go below to the "head" (boat restroom) enter the engine room, cut the raw water intake lines, go topside, tell sugar daddy "let's get a drink at that bar over there" you walk down the dock to get a drink with a name like "Davey Jones", make nice with him, then point out that you can't see the yacht he just gave her yacht anymore, mainly because it sticks up out of the water about 8 ft less. He panics, she laughs, he runs, she finishes her drink and finds a new sugar daddy to terrorize.