Click for Northern Lights Click for Mag Bay Click for Nordhavn Click for Walker Click for Abeking

Help with separating Transmission/Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by FencingAg, Jun 19, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. FencingAg

FencingAg New Member

I have a 1986 Post 43 that I bought knowing that it needed work - specifically the port transmission. Engines recently rebuilt, starboard transmission tested great.

This weekend, I started working on getting that gear pulled (Capital HE 11200), and after removing all bolts, separating the prop shaft, etc. I cannot seem to get the gear to separate from the engine (DD 671). I am bringing it to a mechanic to rebuild, but, as of yet, have been unable to find a mechanic in my area that wanted to remove the transmission.

Ive got the gear supported by a hoist attached to an A-frame, trying to slide it back and it will not budge. Based on the rust Ive found, Im sure that is part of it, but does anyone have any suggestions that might allow me to budge this thing? Im a big dude (6'8"), so navigating in that small area is tricky, and hard for me to get much leverage.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

It is important that you remove the pump drive shaft before you remove the transmission from the engine.
    This is a splined shaft on both ends.
    You need to remove the pump from the back of the transmission.
    The shaft passes from the pump, through the transmission into the engine shaft.
    Pay attention to each end as they are different length spline shaft.
    It should slide right out when you remove the pump.

If you already have the engine mounts free and there is nothing else but your hoist holding the weight then you will have trouble.
    I would put the engine mounts back onto the transmission, lower it back into place and then try to remove the pump drive shaft .