Click for Delta Click for Mulder Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Abeking

Help with Hatteras Trawler question

Discussion in 'General Trawler Discussion' started by igloo, May 14, 2009.

1. igloo

igloo New Member

A newbie question. Just curious if you good folks who know boats would care to give me your opinion on a 58 foot 1979 Hatteras Trawler. We are not looking for speed, and I know that cruising speed is about 10 with the Detroit 6-71N diesels (which I have read are pretty reliable diesels). However, since I'm gathering information, any opinions would be appreciated. Obviously a marine survey would be in order on any boat we buy as well as gathering any other pertinent information. With any boat we buy, we are looking at only going no further than 20 miles offshore and possibly cruising the intercoastal waterway so. Since we would not be in any hurry, the trawler idea just gave me something to consider.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member

Nice boats, lots of room, look for one with stabilizers.

Here is a very nice one an acquaintance of mine has listed: http://tinyurl.com/qr29sk
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

lol... you've hit just about every forum, havent' you? see my replies on BoaterEd and HatterasOwners... :)

i think you're going to get the same reply everywhere: if you are in the market for a quality older displacement boat, the 58LRC is probably the best you can get, if you can find one!
  4. igloo

igloo New Member

Yeah, I thought I would hit about 4 forums since there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors (normally). Seems like this is one heck of a great boat as you indicate.
  5. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Having listed & sold my share of 'em...

Doesn't really matter if you find one with the four-bangers.
    BTW, they are all stabilized. Naiads like to be serviced (seals & bearings) every two years, so check when this was last done.
    Look out for the soft spots up on the boat deck; simple balsa core repairs.
    Don't worry too much about bottom blisters.
    Yank out the w/s & side windows, rebed, replace; yeah, you'll break a few if this hasn't been done in the past 5-6 years.

Have fun....send pics TO THIS FORUM.
  6. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

6v71N's are great engines that go 10,000+ hours. You could also go with any hatteras in that size and burn the same amount of fuel if you run it at the same speeds as the trawler. They're good boats, but I hear with the Hatteras trawlers you have to be careful when you lift them out of the water due to the stringer placement. And, they made very few of them so they are hard to find
  8. JWY

JWY Senior Member

Hatteras made other size lrc's, the largest being the 65. The 58s and 65s are known for their voluminous interiors, flexible sleeping arrangements, large galleys, full size engine rooms, and many features making them good for family or charter long-range cruising. They are also accommodating for those requiring more head room, although the 58 has slightly more in the master stateroom and master head.

A story of owner loyalty: My client had a 58 and put many miles under her keel; he was going to take his family to So. America so put her in a Texas yard for total refit. All was done but the final coat of caprail varnish. Boat next to it caught fire and the Hatteras was near total. He wanted to rebuild but insurance wouldn't re-insure. He bought a 65lrc and used her for a few years. Unfortunately he had her at New Orleans Yacht Club during Katrina. Subsequently bought a smaller Hatteras.

If you find one that has addressed the issues Loren points out (and I concur), go for it - they're great vessels.

Judy
  9. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Not to put too fine a point on it, but Detroits 6V-71TI engines were Not Good and, as a consequence, were short-lived in the pleasurecraft business.
    Fortunately, the Hat LRCs came equipped with the naturally aspirated inline sixes--671Ns-- (as well as fours) which were, indeed, known for their longevity.
    Not going to get into a brouhaha here, but the second statement in the above quote ignores the fact that the LRC series had true displacement (soft chine) hulls. Also, 12V-71TIs in a 58MY will burn lots more fuel at the same speed compared to 6-71Ns in the 58 LRC.
    BTW, I have the Official Detroit Propeller Load Fuel Curves at hand.