Click for Westport Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Perko Click for Delta

Helicopter crash when landing on Trinity yacht "Bacarella"

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Norseman, May 10, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Looks like it was a chartered helicopter and not owned by the yacht's owners.
    All the way from the U.K.
    Just curious, but why not charter a small jet from the U.K. To Norway, then use the yacht's tender to get onboard..?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Somebody wanted to show off the helo pad.
    Looks like the yacht owner just bought a totaled helo and picked 3 new best friend$.
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's at a pier, why didn't they just land the helo at the closest real helo pad on land? I don't think the yacht owner is liable, the guests and helo pilot chose to land there, but, the yacht could be found negligent for not clearing the deck of any loose items which is necessary before doing helo ops. I sure as heck would not have wanted to be the crewmember who was guiding the helo in!!!!!!!
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

You really think there was a LSO?
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

The boat was anchored when the tarp hit the fan.
    It is docked now because of the accident investigation.
  6. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

A 57 year old man is still in critical condition in the hospital.
    He was unconscious and not breathing when he was rescued.

This is supposedly a picture of the same boat with a smaller helicopter onboard, looks like a Robinson.

IMG_0837.JPG
  7. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If he had some altitude, micro maybe he could of landed (crash) better. With a rotor strike like that, coloctive was jamed and the synthetic blades had already lost lift. Transmission probably gone also.
    Sudden loss of all control.
    I hope all walk out of the hospital soon.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

IMG_0839.JPG This picture is taken 5 minutes after the crash:
    The chopper is floating upside down, the yellow pontoons keeping it afloat, they were activated manually by a quick thinking pilot just before the crash.
    Looks like 9 crew members on the boat are watching the recovery operation.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I thought the floats self deployed. I am not roto wing qualified, just been around them allot. So I could be wrong.
  11. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yeah, I thought the floats were automatic as well, but one of the articles I read said they were manually deployed in this case.
  12. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Good reading. You can read dat stuff.
    Looks Greek to me.
  13. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Ha, Norwegian is so easy that even the little kids in Norway can speak it:)

The accident investigation will take a while as the boat is registered in the Cayman Islands, the chopper is British and the splash happened in Norway.
    3 nationals involved, so far 3 investigators have come from the U.K. to Norway, no world on investigators from the Caymans.
    There are videos, probably security cameras, on the aft deck (s) that filmed the whole thing, but not yet released.
    The tarp, or blanket, whatever it was that got sucked into the rotor was a cover for a fuel tank. No further details on where the tank was, what kind of fuel, what kind of cover, etc.
  14. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In other words a lot of people are gettting airplane rides and Norwegian vacations. we re getting to point where everything has to be investigated to death... ridiculous pretty silly in this case as clearly something was sucked in.
  15. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

It looks like there was no briefing prior landing between the pilot and the crew in charge of helo operation on the ship and/or some kind of carelessness among the ships crew. Which means, the captain of the ship will have a hard time to explain. Lessons learned, even the best helicopter pilot in the world will be in trouble, if the landing site strikes back (FOD). IMHO, maritime helo operations should be left to seriously minded professionals and are not the playground for adventurers and stuntmen (That's what he calls himself).

But at least he handled the emergency like a pro. Obeyed rule Nr.1, In case of emergency during landing or approach, get away from the ship and he managed to activate the pop out floats prior impact. His licence will be in danger, if the CAA and EASA are getting involved.

The problem with the 3 blade rotors of the smaller Eurocopters is their rather small amount of kinetic energy in those light weight rotor blades. Hitting something will take the energy out of the whole fan and blade stall is imminent. A Bell 207 or 407 would have most likely survived that incidence almost undamaged.
  16. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

The cloth was quickly shredded so I doubt it was sufficient resistance to stop the kinetic energy of the blade disc therefore I don't think this was a blade stall. The rapid yaw of the fuselage may not have been torque related to the main blades, but rather a section of the cloth encountering the tail rotor blades. That would explain the rapid yaw. Any cyclic command by the pilot could easily become opposite of intentional input when pirouetting.
  17. HTMO9

HTMO9 Senior Member

I would agree on that very logical explanation, if there was tail rotor damage. If not, a rapid deceleration of the main rotor can also cause a rapid yaw of the hull.

I was just saying, that I personally like helicopters with more energy (momentum) in their rotor blades. It is a higher safety margin, when hitting a foreign object (or bird) and during auto rotation after engine failure. Best example was the famous UH-1 with her blade momentum of more than 3 metric tons. We have seen a SAR UH-1 D cutting off a street lamp and taking off again after a short visual inspection.

On those single engine helos with light main rotors, you have to be fairly quick to get the collective pitch down during engine failure before the rotor RPM gets critical.

The biggest advantage of the 3 blade Eurocopter is their blade folding system. All 3 blades fold to the rear, means for storage only the hull length remains.
  18. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Yes, the UH-1 was famous for cutting it's own landing path.
    The Vietnam pilots went down in the jungle using the main rotor as a lawn mower.
    I can recommend a book called "Chicken Hawk"
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chickenhawk_(book)
  19. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

A recent blurb in a Norwegian newspaper said the pilot got out of the chopper
    seconds after it crashed, then swam back inside and activated the flotation devices, then released both passengers who were stuck in their seats and trapped in the seat belts.
    He said the rescue boat was there almost before the chopper hit the water.
    One of the passengers was the owner of the Yacht.
    The critically injured passenger is doing better and off life support for now.
    The flight started in London and did multiple stops before getting to the boat, naturally.
    Some of the newspaper chat says the tarp or cover that got sucked into the rotor was a metal cover for an aviation fuel tank.
    The chopper who bit the dust however was a charter and not based on the boat.
    Earlier pictures shows a smaller chopper "parked" on the helipad, possibly a Robinson 44.
  20. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I've reviewed the available videos, in depth, with my crew. We believe that the loose article was actually a canvas cover for a fueling station (lift pump/hose reel). If you look at the photo in Post#29 you'll notice a large cube-ish rack on the top deck of Bacarella, which doesn't look as if it belongs on the center of the sundeck. I suspect that is the fueling station, that was likely retro-fitted for helo-ops.
    With such an unsightly piece of equipment in the midst of a guest area, it was probably fitted with a canvas cover (as we do on yachts) to dress it up.
    My guess is that the cover wasn't properly secured to withstand the wash associated with a landing helicopter, and took flight when it was subjected to the down-draft.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2017