Click for Abeking Click for Delta Click for Burger Click for Perko Click for Westport

HeadHunter Mach 5 Water Pressure Pump Problems

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Gödeke, Apr 20, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

I talked to tech support and they sent me a check list to bleed air from the pump. The guy seemed to dismissed the 3 flash pattern. I followed the instructions (open a number of faucet and turn the pump on and off a few times leaving th faucets open)

Not a temp issue. While the pump is in the ER, sitting on top of one of the gensets and the suction hose runs the length of the ER, it s happened three times since we got back to Miami, on shore power with the ER cooled off.

I was also wondering about a freq. Issue as our fisher paykel dishwasher acts up as soon the freq is a little high on genset with light load but clearly that's not it.

We ll see if the bleeding helps
  2. Calicoiii

Calicoiii New Member

Can anyone please recommend a replacement for a Mach5 pump?
  3. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

A Mach5 pump would fit rite in perfectly.
  4. Calicoiii

Calicoiii New Member

Yep, I just don't want to spend 1900+... I may try a 6 gpm Jabsco
  5. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I am assuming this was a factory install;

The re-engineering in changing the plumbing to accommodate an entirely different pump format, is going to eat up some time and new hardware.
    You will save some dollars and pending your skills, may actually look good when complete.

I fear you will be disappointed with the final operating results.
  6. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

On my personal 53 I have a Jabsco Hot Shot HD6 as a back up which provides a lot of pressure. Downside is that the pump is bit noisy

An alternative to the HH is the Groundfos Scala. Half the price at $940. That’s the primary pump on my boat. It works very well and unlike the HH has a number of warning symbols for troubleshooting. Very quite. Downside is that it will not put out enough pressure to flush Headhunter heads so if that’s what you have you re pretty much stuck with the Mach5

Grundfos 98562817 SCALA2 3-45 AMCJDF 1x208-230V 60Hz Pressure Boosting Pump, small, Black https://a.co/d/7oNbHo1

like the Mach5 the price has gone up a lot in the last 2 years of B—-nomics, I had paid just $700

As an update to my original replies on this thread 7 years ago, that boat sold a couple of months later and the two boats i be run since also had Mach5s. On the first one, I had an occasional random errors as well. On the current 110 we have two Mach5 with selector switches and valves and so far they ve been flawless in the last 2 years.
  7. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

Good point although connecting a smaller pump on the 1” inlet plumbing is easier than upgrading the other way around. The most time consuming part will be run new wires as the jasbcos are DC
  8. JewelLure

JewelLure New Member

We had the problem for years. It slowly got worse. We did all the fixes Headhunter suggested. We finally put in a spare pump and discovered that the schedule 80 fitting from the factory inlet piece to the suction hose had a tiny crack. That crack had gotten worse. That fitting is almost impossible to see until the pump is unmounted.
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

One way to troubleshoot which I considered but the boat sold before i had to do it, would be to hook up a dock hose as close to the tank pick up as possible and pressurize the plumbing to the pump….