Click for Delta Click for Glendinning Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Abeking

Gonna Get Me A Post , Excited And Scared...

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by hughdunlop, Oct 24, 2014.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Hello to you all...I have been following your posts on here for some time now and have gained a great deal of knowledge on the vessel that has seemingly captured a piece of my heart and soul. I have gotten myself in a position to finally be able to purchase , support and love a late 80s early 90s 46.
    I have lived on the water all my life , spent 20 years in the Sea-Ray game , am a Ship's Captain in the North Sea offshore and till I retire will enjoy my Post off the shores of Nova Scotia. Once I return from Sea next month I plan on stopping over in MA to view 4 or 5 46s , hoping to be that much closer to purchase in the spring of 2015......I have many questions and hope you will be patient with me..I am hoping at some point to be in a position to offer advice to others who may need it someday as well..... Rgds...Hugh Dunlop
  2. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Hi hughdunlop, Let me be the first to welcome you to YF! What I know about Post boats might fill up a shot glass. But you my friend have landed into Post OZ without going through a tornado or the yellow brick road...there are so many people here who have a tremendous amount of knowledge of Post Yachts. I can speak with the utmost confidence that any and all questions you have concerning your "Baby" will be answered. I look forward to reading this thread. Best of luck!
  3. mwwhit1

mwwhit1 Senior Member

We are definitely here to help answer questions you will have. There are threads from others here on buying and what to look for. Admin Edit: link to site deleted.
  4. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

mwwhit1,

There's enough knowledge on YF that a person doesn't need a website that requires a fee. You have posted links to said site on other forums. I don't know your affiliation, but this is unacceptable.
  5. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

One of the first questions I have is how these boats perform in a calm to moderate sea state at 10-12 kts..... Thinking this for covering long distances with minimal fuel burn....
  6. NEO56

NEO56 Member

I'm guessing that you're referring to SF's? It all depends on hull designs, most are fairly stable at trolling/displacement speeds, but with towers can have quite a bit of roll in a beam sea. Most larger SF either have stabilizers, or have been retro fitted with Sea Keeper's. At 10-12 knots as in your question, not so much. And unless you were in 6-8 foot beam seas, it rides like just about any other boat. Remember these boats were a trade off...get out to the fishing grounds rather quickly, and once there be a stable fishing platform.
  7. Beau

Beau Senior Member

Based on my ride, I would think you'd be pushing a lot of water at that speed. Maybe someone with a 46 can tell you their efficient speed. I first plane at 1300 rpm for a speed of about 16 knots , but I wouldn't judge that to be my most efficient, probably 1600 at about 21 knots considering fuel and range comparisons. My boat loves to run at generator speed - 1800 rpm- for about a 26 knot cruise
  8. P46-Curaçao

P46-Curaçao Senior Member

Curaçao (CW), Hollywood (FL) and Amsterdam (NL)
    I have not responded yet, because we may have a different sea over here. Most of the time 4-7ft, so speed depends on wave height, to keep the ride comfortable for the wife and guests.

We are never in a hurry, always close to something, so speed is no real issue.

Recently we went to Bonaire with 7ft sea, and at around 1500rpm we had a (relatively) comfortable ride, hardly no pounding, but the 46 is wet, so keep the 'front fligh bridge enclosure' closed! After this experience (I use the boat for only 1 year now, at least twice a week), I would ride any sea in our area.

As far as I can see, in a calm to moderate sea state at 10-12 kts, it has a comfortable and stable ride.
  9. P46-Curaçao

10. Beau

Beau Senior Member

hugedunlop

check Ruby's posting on the going bigger thread
  11. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Think I found one in MA..Just pending a rack adjustment to rid alittle top end knocking...If that does the trick I may bite...I believe the price is right.
  12. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

I am now the proud owner of a 1993 46........ This for me is a big deal. Probably 5 years ahead of schedule but Life is short as they say and this is the boat I have had on my mind since I bought my last one. Its gonna be a whole lot of things , I guess how it all goes is up to me. I hope to spend a bit of time on here , I am sure there is lots to learn from those of you who have a Post in your life.
  13. P46-Curaçao

Wow, fantastic, congratulations!!

And of course....we want to see pictures...many pictures!!
  14. hughdunlop

hughdunlop Member

Sure thing P46 , I will for sure once the journey begins......She needs some improvements on the interior colours ( Very Miami Vice ) and a new enclosure , and some other little things , but will start my journey from The North East to her new home port in Nova Scotia. And I know she will be the only one that side of Maine...
  15. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Wow & congratulations!
    Keep us up. We like to watch.
  16. NEO56

NEO56 Member

Ralph, you're a dirty old man, no wonder you like that Marina cam with controls you can use!;)
  17. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh, you caught me looking again,,,,
  18. Berean

Berean Senior Member

Congrats!