Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Mulder Click for Glendinning Click for Northern Lights

FW Murphy Helm View HV 1000 Display Problems

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by SeaEric, Aug 3, 2023.

1. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

This is on the 63' Trumpy 1969 "Angelus" aka the former "Showtime", ex "Sinbad". I'm trying to sort out an issue with a 15 year old installation on a FW Murphy Helm View HV 1000 engine data helm display. I may be wrong here but I think this is a NEMA driven display from analog to NEMA sensors on the engines which are vintage Detroit 6-71 N's. Recently, the helm display has been starting up with the infomation upside down and backwards in the display. See photo. It had done this intermittantly a while back and would correct itself. Now, it's all the time. If there is a way to flip it in the menus, we either can't find it or the pages won't scroll as they should. The entire behavior of this unit has become erratic. The Captain bumped the display by accident with his phone and it changed screens randomly. When we popped the display out of the dash to gather info from the tag in the back, we realze that something sounds loose and rattling around inside it. The manual for the system, which we have, is of little to no use.

Does anyone here have any experience with this Murphy system? I have found a place in NJ to ship it for possibe repair quote, which we will likely do. Before we throw lots of $$ at this, it may make more sense to just go back to the standard analog gauge panels. View attachment 101281

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

If you already have an open tech A to D NEMA converters, Simrad 7" may replace it.
    Fore a quick, cheaper and easier repair, try getting it fixed first. Can't be much wrong with it.

BTW, your mains are out of sync..

Was just thinking. this model has been on e-bay before. Start a search and save it. A spare may come up.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2023
  3. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

We have 2 almost new Garmin screens that will display the engine data. I would need to find a local tech that can take whatever signal we have from the engines and get it to talk to the Garmin network. Perhaps someone here can point me in a direction on that.

I think we will ship the screen for repair quote. Great suggestion on the ebay saved search! Thanks Ralph.
  4. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

Hyland Electronics is in the neighborhood of where Angelus was last seen in the yard.
    He is local to the Rock Hall area but I have no real experience with him.
  5. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Thank you! I don't know them. She's now back at Piney Narrows. I'll give them a call.
  6. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

If you have the time, let me know what you think of them.
    Thanks.
  7. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Today I shipped the display to Radwell International in New Jersey. They will assess for possible repair. Stay tuned.
  8. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Radwell has come back with a very reasonable repair proposal. We're moving forward with that plan.
  9. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Outstanding and good news.
    Please keep us up.
  10. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Radwell didn't have a solution and returned the unit not repaired. Back to square one.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh Sheet...
  12. Phil Ebanks

Phil Ebanks New Member

I have the same unit and Radwell returned also. Did you find a solution for this and which unit did you change to,
  13. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

After hours of Google searching, I found a company in California that makes a "Plug and Play" replacement for the HV1000. The company is Murcal. They are great folks and have been very responsive. The item is SKU: MTU HV1000 to PV700 Display Conversion Kit (6522032kit) . Go to murcal.com and type that SKU in the search box. We have one on order. Stay tuned.
  14. Phil Ebanks

Phil Ebanks New Member

Thanks Much.
  15. Jimmy S27

Jimmy S27 New Member

Jim with MurCal here, we have been developing this for the MTU but also have requests for other engines, if you are up for us playing with the software a bit we would love to help. Any updates we do can be loaded with a USB so we can just email them. We can be reached at: Promotional Link Removed - Read The Rules
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2024
  16. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

Hi Jim, I'm glad that you're here. If anyone needs to reach you they can use the "private message" function. We have received the new display and have plugged it in. It fits perfectly and does power up. The engines have not yet been de-winterized so we're awaiting that to see if it gives us data. Continue to stay tuned for updates.
  17. Jimmy S27

Jimmy S27 New Member

Sounds good. we have been selling a bunch lately so either they are working well or people are not yet in the water, we will help either way
  18. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

It looks like my customer needs some tech support. The unit powers up but it doesn't see any data coming from the engines. Thanks in advance for your help.
  19. Jimmy S27

Jimmy S27 New Member

Hi Eric, I believe we have him connected with Jody at our place. Working to confirm wiring in the boat.
    SeaEric likes this.