Click for Nordhavn Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Westport Click for Burger

Fuel tanks equalizing

Discussion in 'Offshore Yacht' started by Craig Wilson, Aug 11, 2023.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson New Member

I'm a new owner of a 2001 52 Offshore. I notice while do an engine room inspection. I was out of balance on my Port and Starboard fuel tanks. No to bad only a slight list to Port. The Port tank was lower by 7 inches then the Starboard. I decided to full her up and balance. I thought I fill the fuller Starboard tank all the way up. I got at least a couple clicks on the hose. Plus you could hear the fuel in the Neck. I proceed to fill the lower Port tank. It took what I expected. All seemed well. However when I went to fill the Forward fuel tank. Port side Fill hole. I had Diesel in the Neck. I thought that was strange. I left the gas dock and proceed to moorage. It was there that I notice a sever list to the Port.
    Question: Why did I create a more sever list? Are these fuel tanks independent of each other? Is there certain fuel flow valves I need to change? How do I correct this and stop from happing again??
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

The boat most likely has a severe list to start with. Is the hose connecting port and starboard tank closed?
  3. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson New Member

thanks for the reply. I figured it out. Silly mistake on my part filling the tanks. All is good