Click for Nordhavn Click for YF Listing Service Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Ocean Alexander

Fuel tank leak

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Dan balmer, May 30, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Hi all. Have discovered my 400 gal aluminum fuel tank in my 38’ 1988 Pearson yacht is leaking and who do I call. The boat is on the hard in mystic Connecticut
  2. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

Start by calling the yard to pump the tank into some barrels, get the fuel out. You'll eventually discover that the boat allowed water to accumulate under the tank and create the opportunity for electrolysis. Your replacement tank will be stainless.
  3. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Ok thanks. Will do that now.
    alvareza likes this.
  4. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Am having trouble saying anything on this site. What am I doing wrong such that I am told that I have to be registered to do anything and when I try todo that it doesn’t work
  5. YachtForums

YachtForums Administrator

Dan,

When you logged-on this morning, you may have failed to check the box that says "Stay Logged In". Or possibly you cleared your cookies in between your earlier visit and your most recent post? If you have not done so, check your browser settings to make sure 3rd party cookies are enabled. These are the only reasons to be logged out by the system.

Carl
  6. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Ok all. I have gotten some barrrls and will pump out fuel tomorrow. Have called Triton and he advised that I cut the cockpit deck out remove and remake a new tank by tank builder as my most cost effective method. The existing top rear half of the tank is accessible by way of large center deck hatch. This is where all the fittings are and access port as well. What prevents me from cutting this 2x3 square section out and getting in the tank to find the problem
  7. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

IF you can get the old aluminum tank out and replace it with stainless, you'll be well served. If the aluminum has pitted to a point where it leaks, there are likely weak spots just waiting to leak. Stainless and stainless fittings. And bond it to the system. See how water can find its way into the chamber and try to keep it from returning.
  8. Dan balmer

Dan balmer Member

Thank you for your help and response. Am still going to do this to determine what the problem is either inside or out of the tank and then make a judgement. Just wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing something stupid.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

You’re not going to see much on the inside of the tank. The problem almost certainly lies with corrosion and/or electrolysis on the outside, bottom of the tank. You may see one or two pinholes that have gone through the tank and there may be 1,000 more ready to spring leaks that you won’t see. The tank has to come out in its entirety.
    rtrafford likes this.
  10. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

There is no repairing the tank (properly) while inside the boat.
    After 35 years, it has done you very well, till lately.
    Please don't spin your wheels and waist time. Get it pulled and replaced.
    We will all sleep well and safe with a new tank.
    rtrafford likes this.
  11. rtrafford

rtrafford Senior Member

This. Additionally, it maintains your ship in sale shape. It should always be in shape for a sale. Could additionally provide you with an opportunity to perhaps increase the capacity just a bit as well as to possibly attend to any other maintenance issues while the tanks are out, given the added space. Look it as a positive.
    cleanslate likes this.