Click for Ocean Alexander Click for Nordhavn Click for Mulder Click for Nordhavn Click for Perko

Fuel Filling Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, Aug 4, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Fueling up my fwd tanks is a tedious process so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of how to make it easier. The fwd tanks are outboard of the engines. Each side is four seperate tanks connected in series to act as a single tank. The challange is the fuel fill dumps into the after most tank and the connecting hoses between tanks are only 1.25". So the fuel fills faster into the aft tank then it can limber forward. I have to fill very slowly to keep from having fuel puke out the vent or even overflow the fill cap. I can't really put larger hoses on as the welded fittings aren't any bigger. Each tank series is about 340 gallons and it can take me almost 45 mins to get them full. Is this normal? Anyone have suggestions?
    As a comparision my aft tank is a single 700 gallon tankand I can put 400-500 gallons into it in less than 15 mins.
  2. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If you could suck it out of the aft ( fastest filling ) tank and into the forward ones at a pace greater than gravity allows this would hasten the filling times. Filling slowly does allow for a good fill with less foam and most important to me is the reduced chance of a spill.
  3. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Thanks KIWI. Unfortunately the only way I can transfer from aft to fwd is to run the engines and draw from the aft tank and return to the fwd tanks. I'm not sure what rate that would transfer at but likely pretty slow. My fwd tanks sit a little higher than the aft tank so if I leave a valve open it will gravity transfer aft.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

I guess your stuck with it then, enjoy the time, roll a smoke, crack a beer the tanks will be full soon enough.
  5. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Crack a beer yes but last I checked they frown on smoking at the fuel dock while fueling or at all for that matter :) I don't smoke anyway but just saying
  6. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

Note, I said roll one I did not suggest you light it while doing this.
  7. captholli

captholli Senior Member

Any chance of plumbing a second fuel fill on deck for your wing tanks?
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Make sure the other tank vents are independent from another and really open. If your using a normal delivery valve and flow, I would think it should work or be close.

A cranked up flow or 2 inch heavy delivery valve will probably over flow.

Choke or click to a slower delivery setting and relax.

Or, Change boat sides often.
  9. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

A good thought but the fills would be fwd and not real practical to access given the narrow deck along the sides of the house. The aft fills are accessible from standing in the cockpit.
  10. chesapeake46

chesapeake46 Senior Member

I think you need to start looking for a bigger boat......