Click for Walker Click for Nordhavn Click for Furuno Click for JetForums Click for Mulder

Fuel economy at trawler speeds

Discussion in 'Post Yacht' started by madmikec, Aug 9, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. madmikec

madmikec New Member

Hello all,

This is my first post on here as my live aboard boat search has brought me to reconsider the possibility of a Post 42. I'm most interested in what the fuel burn is like in the trawler speed range (less than 10kts?). I've been looking heavily at trawlers so that I could find something economical to cruise in as a 25 y/o living aboard and cruising around ct/ri/ny and not break the bank every weekend. My trawler search has left me concerned that they lack the power IF NEEDED if caught in a nasty beam sea or a strong river current. So, if I were to look more at the 35'-45' sport fish market:

1) Could I cruise at trawler speeds with similar fuel burn numbers and benefit from having the extra power when I need it?
    2) Will it be harmful to run the engines at these speeds for a 3-6 hour cruises?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!
  2. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

1. Yes you can. You'll see around 1.5 mpg at trawler speeds in a 35'-45' SF. However you might want to call it trolling speeds (some fisherman might get offended otherwise) heehehe. Most SF troll for 6+ hours when they go out fishing normally.

2. You are going to run them up to cruise for 30 minutes every 4-6 hours to clean them out, if only a 3 hour cruise run them 20 minutes at cruise on the way in, if a 6 hour cruise run them up for 30 minutes on the way in.
  3. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

In addition to what J said, keep in mind "under 10kts" will result in huge differences.

Generally speaking, the hull speed of a boat is the sq root of the LWL (waterline not LOA) times 1.3. So figure LWL 36' for a 42 footer, means hull speed will be about 7 to 7.5 kts.anything over that and your fuel burn will go up exponentially... Worst case scenario.

So if you hold it around 7kts, then your burn will likely be around 5 0r 6 GPH. Push it to just 8kts and it will likely be around 10gph. By the time you hit 9 kts, my guess sill be 13 to 15gph... Basically twice the burn for 30% speed.
  4. madmikec

madmikec New Member

Thanks you both for the info -

The search is definitely more open to an older sportfish now...