Click for YF Listing Service Click for Cross Click for Westport Click for Delta Click for Walker

Fool-Proof Fueling

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CaptTom, Sep 8, 2006.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CaptTom

CaptTom Senior Member

Hello all,

As a new writer for The Triton, I recently wrote a piece on the fuel delivery service in S FL. Want to share with everyone as it might help a fellow captain one day.

Capt. Tom

Fool-proof fueling:​

Crew call fuel ships convenient, dependable, cheaper
    by Tom Serio​

Being fortunate to jump right into the South Florida yachting scene when I moved to this southern climate about three years ago, I was put right by my friend Capt. Nick and his wife, Laurie, aboard their charter yacht Eastern Star.

Familiar with some of the larger fueling docks in the area, I asked Capt. Nick one day if we needed to head out for a fuel-up. He mentioned that there is a fuel barge service that comes right to the boat. Not wanting to feel "Norman Paperman-ish", I nodded like I knew what Nick was talking about. (Who’s Norman Paperman, you ask? He’s a character in Jimmy Buffett’s "Don’t Stop the Carnival" who didn’t understand the need to hail the water barge. Long story. Pick up the CD.)

Curious by nature, I wanted to learn more about these "barges" and recently hooked up with one of the area’s largest fuelers, Peterson Fuel Delivery, for a ride-along. These aren’t really barges but self-propelled tankers or, as Managing Partner Robert Lambert put it, fuel ships.

Why obtain fuel this way as opposed to a fuel dock? Easy. As most yacht crew members told me, it’s convenient, more affordable and, at least with Peterson, dependable.

The day I tagged along, Capt. Rick Gonzales was behind the wheel. Capt. Rick has spent a number of years pushing real barges on the Mississippi River, so this 61-foot fuel ship is easy, comparatively.

We departed from Lauderdale Marine Center, where Peterson keeps two of the signature-yellow vessels that serve Broward County. (There is a fuel ship in Miami for that area.) Capt. Rick deftly maneuvered the single-screw (and bow thruster-assisted) ship outbound on the New River. All five bridges had to be opened due to spuds that stick up about 30 feet.

I asked Capt. Rick how he wanted to tie up or anchor, as our first stop was all the way up on the head dock at Hall of Fame Marina.

"No need," he said. "We’ll never touch the other vessel."

The puzzled look on my face must have spoken a thousand words, with Capt. Rick replying that the spuds jutting up at the bow and stern will be lowered, essentially anchoring us in any place we wish. Capt. Rick positioned the bow about 2 feet from Pro Diver II, a 60-foot dive vessel, and lowered the fore spud. He then pivoted the stern around and dropped that spud. We were locked in place. Within minutes, the hose was over the rail and the vessel was being fueled with 300 gallons of diesel.

Peterson fuel ships are designed and built to ABS standards and certified by the U.S. Coast Guard. These double-hulled ships hold up to 10,000 gallons of diesel in several tanks, with two pumping systems. The pumps can push up to 300 gallons a minute through the 2-inch hose, a little less through the 1.5-inch hose.

If it’s lube oils you need, Peterson supplies them via buckets and barrels. Other products can be ordered, including fuel additives and filters, oil absorption and containment items, and cleaners and degreasers. Peterson also can remove waste oil and off-load fuel prior to a haul-out.

I chatted with a crew member (out of earshot of Capt. Rick), looking for some pros and cons of this type of service. Basically, he didn’t like tanker truck service and noted it is more convenient for fuel to come to the boat, as it fills up weekly.

With a quick signature on the invoice and thanks all around, Capt. Rick picked up the aft spud, swung the stern out, picked up the fore spud, and we were off. Each spud is 40 feet tall with a pointed end for better hold on the waterway floor, and weigh about 3,000 pounds. Once they’re down, they hold tight, but raising them takes a beefy winch and chain assembly.

Next stop was the Best Western docks • or what’s left of them during the renovation period • off 17th Street Causeway to fuel the Nekton Pilot, a 78-foot SWATH (Small Waterplane Area Twin Hull) vessel that specializes in dive excursions to the Bahamas. Nekton also offers trips to Belize, Mona Island off Puerto Rico, the Cayman Islands and Silver Bank to dive with the whales, among other cool destinations.

Nekton Pilot was moored on the outside at Best Western, so we pulled up on the inside of the dock and spudded down. Since the fuel inlet is up about 15 feet on the top deck of Nekton, a line was dropped and the hose tied to it and hoisted up by engineer Brad, who oversaw the fueling. Capt. Rick stayed on the fuel ship, manning pumps and valves in case a quick shutoff was necessary. Peterson fuel ships typically operate with one captain, who handles all aspects of vessel operation and fueling.

When asked why his vessel uses Peterson’s, Brad mentioned the convenience but more importantly that the service is always on time, if not early. And that’s important on a charter schedule, he said.

Remember that fuel ships or other fueling services are not allowed in all marinas, especially those that sell their own fuel. For yachts docked in one of those marinas, Peterson’s can arrange to meet a vessel somewhere along the ICW where the fuel ship is already "spudded down" and waiting.

Peterson’s fuel ships operate in the rain and other adverse weather. When a hurricane is forecast, the company will position one ship up river and one down river to ensure continued service, regardless of bridge closings.

After pumping 2,000 gallons into several tanks on Nekton, the hose was lowered and secured in the container before departing. The container is midships and is a fully contained metal box where all pumps, valves and connections are located. Any accidental spill, leak or overflow of fuel will be contained within, preventing fuel from getting into the water.

All Peterson fuel ships carry containment booms for spills and other recovery gear, since they also carry lube oils and other petrochemicals.

The cruise back up the New River was eventful for me, as we had to buck a ripping outflow and several cruise boats and recreational vessels running down current. But Capt. Rick was cool, calm and in control, masterfully working the wheel, thruster, throttle and shifter like he had four arms, negotiating the bends and bridge openings like a seasoned professional.

Back at the dock, I had a chance to speak with Robert Lambert in detail, as he explained that Ted Peterson, who founded the company, is still involved a bit with the business along with Lambert and several other partners. The company has plans to expand with a larger and newer fleet and additional locations over the next one to two years.

Asked pointedly how he can run such an operation while charging, on average, 50 cents to $1 less per gallon than dockside pumps, he said it’s all in the volume sold.

So with that, convenience and dependability, make sure you don’t let the barge go by, Norman.

For more information about Peterson Fuel Delivery, visit www.petersonfuel.com or call 954-764-3835.
  2. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

Well, this certainly clears that up! Where I come from, spuds = 'taters!:p
  3. YachtForum

YachtForum Publisher/Admin

..... :D