Click for Westport Click for Walker Click for Burger Click for Glendinning Click for Mag Bay

Express Cruiser - Better quality, Beneteau or Cranchi?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Michael Cuene, Sep 7, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Michael Cuene

Michael Cuene New Member

Looking at moving up to a 40ft to 45ft express cruiser, Great Lake boating. Located two with boats, with a garage and stern drives. Any comments regarding these brands?
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I don't have any thoughts with the ship brands.
    The Stern drives may need a heart to heart. Your boating great lakes and seasonal that may extend the life of the drives. Has service been kept up? Bellows service and inspections been preformed correctly? Who can service them that you feel good about?

Trying to be helpful. I/Os down here in salt water, always submerged, never pampered, hardly cleaned, inspected or serviced; make great artificial reef material.
  3. RER

RER Senior Member

Yes the freshwater lakes are a much better place for outdrives. Better too if you've got in & out lifting/storage requirements. Those who think clearly tend to not like I/O's too much around the harsher saltwater enviroment.

Either way as rc mentioned deferred maintenance is the big issue. I've seen a 4 year old boat need $7500 in outdrive service. Fortunately we caught it in survey and got an allowance for it.

I'm curious with the vast selection of express boat builders out there how you have narrowed your inquiry down to a couple of relatively obscure brands?
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

+1.
    Also why are you looking at I/O's in that size boat? At that size I'd be looking for inboard or pod diesels, and would stay far away from brands that aren't well represented in your area. Sea Ray and Formula pop to mind.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

For an express cruiser in that size range, I'd pick Sea Ray over either of those. With those two boats, it's the usual warning to get a survey and let that guide your final decision. As RER asked, how did you settle on those two as favorites? Is it the garage? That's awfully small to have a garage and that space has to come from somewhere.
  6. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'd recommend Searay as well....or if you want to go fast and be fuel efficient a 48' Fountain express cruiser.
  7. FeBo

FeBo New Member

Cranchi:

Endurance 41' (open)

cranchiendurance41-1.jpg

Mediterranee 43' I.P.S. (open/HT) now M44 ST (M40 ST)

cranchi-mediterranee-43-ht-g10.jpg

CranchiM40_600w.jpg

cranchi-m44-1.jpg

Mediterranee 47' (open/HT)

4809340_20140911105318768_1_XLARGE.jpg

Cranchi Shipyard

8. Michael Cuene

Michael Cuene New Member

Why | Brands: These two brands offer 40' to 44' with great layouts; with dingy garage/storage and two private cabins. Sea Ray does not offer storage and privacy of these two brands.
    Why | Outdrive: Two reasons. One, will be kept on a lift kept/dry outside my home. Two, with joystick controls along with bow thruster, I am not concerned about handling.

Thank you for the comments.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  9. Pascal

Pascal Senior Member

The only thing I can say on either boat is that a few weeks ago I stepped on a neighbor's beneteau express flyer to help someone backing in the next slip with a sailboat in windy condition and I almost ripped out the beneteau railing... Most flimsy pos i ve ever encountered, stanchions secured with very narrow bases held with TWO smallish screws...
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Space given for one thing (dinghy storage) must take away space from another. That's a small boat for a garage, and my general expeince has been that mfgs. That go away from the norm with gizmos , do it because they can't compete in areas like construction, handling or representation. Formula with IPS / joystick takes care of the handling concerns with no thrusters. And they're built there in the Midwest. Local representation is worth its weight in gold. Sea Ray the same. Not sure what models come with Zeus, but it's worth asking about.
  11. RER

RER Senior Member

I take it you're referring to new models? It looks like Beneteau has pretty decent coverage in WI ...a multi location dealer with some new boat inventory.

I see nothing on the Great Lakes for Cranchi other than one brokerage boat for sale.
  12. Kafue

Kafue Senior Member

Liam should chip in here, he will know both these brands well.
  13. RER

RER Senior Member

I would consider both brands to be heavy on style, strong in the eye candy department and less so in the quality of materials and construction.

Aston Martins are nice looking cars. You couldn't give one to me for use as a daily driver.