Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights Click for Burger Click for JetForums Click for Glendinning

Engine location Double Cabin vs Double Stateroom

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Connies, Commanders & Catalinas' started by lesp, Aug 31, 2010.

1. lesp

lesp New Member

Hi,

This is my first post to the forum. Someone offered me a 1940 CC 42 ft double cabin (31 hulls built) that needs lots of work. That got me looking at wooden boats. I work on my friends wooden boats but don't own one - yet. Wooden boats are IMO the only powerboats that have character. I see a wooden powerboat as follow-on to my fiberglass sailboat when I’m older (not too far off). I would put the project boat in my barn and take my time working on it till it is needed and the sailboat is sold.

The problem is, I like the look of front half of this boat, but not the back half. This is more than esthetics because it dictates how one enters the boat. I would prefer a Double Stateroom Cruiser of the same size (only 7 built), but that would probably be hard to find in the condition I want or at a price I am willing to pay.

My question is: Did Chris Craft move the engine locations within hulls of the same size? Compared to a 1940 42 ft Double Cabin, would a 1940 42 ft Double Stateroom Cruiser have engines mounted further aft with perhaps vee-drives instead of straight shafts? Have any of you seen hulls of the same size in these two different styles? Thanks.