Click for Mag Bay Click for YF Listing Service Click for Nordhavn Click for Delta Click for Burger

Diesel fuel in Galvanized fuel tanks

Discussion in 'Chris Craft Roamer Yacht' started by dreamweaver66, Dec 1, 2009.

1. dreamweaver66

dreamweaver66 New Member

I was wondering if anyone here knoiw if you can use galvanized fuel tanks for diesel fuel. I'm thinking about buying a CC that was converted from gas to diesel. The boat has galvanized fuel tanks. The conversion was done about 10 years ago. One engine had a injector pump failure.

THANKS
  2. Marmot

Marmot Senior Member

Galvanized tanks are not recommended for diesel fuel storage as the zinc reduces the storage life of diesel fuel by contributing to chemical instability. The short version means the fuel gets dark and yukkie quicker.

But, for what it's worth, most heavy duty diesel lube oils used a zinc compound to reduce scuffing until very recently as acceptable low or no zinc additive packages have been developed. So it is not like having zinc in the cylinder or moving parts is a bad thing in itself. For that reason I would suggest the pump failure you mentioned is coincidental. Unless the fuel was really degraded from long term storage I would not blame the galvanized tanks. Degradation form long term storage can occur in copper-nickel or quartz tanks and will contribute to engine problems so who is to say what factor takes the most blame?

And another FWIW, copper also reduces fuel stability but it has commonly been used without fear or comment on many diesel powered small boats for ages.

If it were my boat I would not worry too much about the tanks. Just don't leave fuel sitting in them for too long. That warning applies no matter what the tank material is however.