Click for JetForums Click for Burger Click for Delta Click for Northern Lights Click for Ocean Alexander

Decorative-only Side Decks?

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by curiouspeter, May 17, 2016.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

On some yachts, like Sea Owl and some Feadship F45s, the side decks flanking the upper-deck lounge appear to be too narrow for regular use.

Are they for decorations only? Or do they serve a practical purpose, such as allowing the crew to clean the large windows (poor deckies) without using a harness?
  2. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

I haven't been on either of those boats, but the photos of Sea Owl look as if those may be full walk around decks.
    And from the photos of F45, I think they are more for style but would also make it easier to clean the windows.

Tonnage is often an issue to be considered when designing boats. So, allowing for a side deck may decrease the tonnage.
  3. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

Interesting... I think tonnage was definitely a concern in the F45 design. Aren't they all 499 GT already? ;-)
  4. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Yes, so you add anything to them and they exceed 500. There are a lot of boats built that are 498 and 499 GT. Just look at how popular 160-164' is as a size. Then Feadship hits that with a 146.49' boat because of the size. So whether it's the issue for the side deck or not, there is a lot of design work done to come in just under 500'. The measurements are obviously very carefully calculated and a miss of 0.2% would be extremely serious.
  5. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I'm not familiar with either boat mentioned. But I can tell you this, a toe rail is better than no rail out all by a very long shot. Even if you need to have a harness on, having somewhere to support your body with your feet, is a heck of a lot better than swinging in the wind.
  6. curiouspeter

curiouspeter Member

Definitely.

Having lots of glass certainly looks cool, but I wonder if it makes a "happy ship."