Click for Mulder Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning

Crusader MP454 XLi Vee belt issues

Discussion in 'Engines' started by J Baumgarten, May 28, 2017.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. J Baumgarten

J Baumgarten New Member

I have a pair of Crusader MP454 XLi engines in my Silverton 351 sedan. I am having problems with the belt that drives the engine water pump and the alternator either slipping or wearing out. In order to keep them from slipping they have to be very tight. I am afraid to over tighten them for fear of overloading the bearings on the water pump or alternator. The belt that is on the alternator is an "A" belt and the belt on the Seawater pump is a wider "B' belt. These were on the boat when I bought it 6 months ago. First, how do I know how much to tighten the belt so it is not too tight and second, is the alternator belt the correct width belt?
  2. justold

justold Member

You didn't mention the condition of the pulleys are they rusty or pitted if so you will not keep belts on it .
    As far as the belt type your best bet is to cross the OE number to something you have access to . Automotive and industrial belts are not interchangeable.
  3. J Baumgarten

J Baumgarten New Member

Thanks for the input. I will buy a belts from the Crusader folks and check to see it it helps. I will also check the alternator pulley. The engine pulleys are in good shape. Any comment on tension?
  4. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Ensure all pulleys are mirror smooth where the belts ride. Just a few rust pits can kill the belt.
  5. J Baumgarten

J Baumgarten New Member

Thanks. Checking the pulleys. Any comment on belt tension?
  6. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Hard for me to give a spec.
    Not guitar string tight, tought and lean it on the belt at the largest gap between pulleys with one strong finger. Should see about 3/4" deflection if pulleys are 18" apart, 1/2" deflection if pulleys are 1 foot apart.
    It's that " how much pressure" to push on the belt that is hard for me to explain.
    Ah, I got it, same pressure as pushing an upright fifth of rum (dark), on a smooth (dry, no ice) counter top with one finger.
    Red-neck calibration..
  7. J Baumgarten

J Baumgarten New Member

Great input especially on the Dark Rum. That is something I can relate to. Grew up in South Florida! Checked the pulleys and there is some pitting and corrosion from not being used. Going to replace the bad pulleys and suspect the problem will be solved. Thanks for the advice. How are things on the St Johns?
  8. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Anchored out now across from Green Cove Springs. Heading back to Ortega tonight.
    Lil westerly breeze, 90 degrees, clear sky.
    Life is good, thx.
  9. J Baumgarten

J Baumgarten New Member

Ah, The Good life!
  10. wdrzal

wdrzal Senior Member

They make a tool that measures belt deflection that's pretty cheap. I use the rcrapps method. Also make sure the pulleys are inline. This is pretty much a visual inspection.
  11. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

Oh flip. I'm back on da dock.
    Hate it when that happens. Must mean I have to work tomorrow.....#@$%&*(

I have noticed these belt tension gauges. Not a clue how (well) they work.
    I believe the important issue is; you noticed some rust spots on the pulleys. This does eat belts quickly.

I'm not going to tell you how to fix it or suggest you put your fingers in were they do not belong; BUT I have been known to take sand paper, wrap it around a wood paint sturing stick and sand out the rust while the engine is running. NO, you did not hear me tell you to do it. It would take a brave (or stupid) fool to do this if he was not confidant around moving engine parts. This fool could loose his finger.
    After this fool used 80 grit then moved up to machine paper around 200 grit for a nice polish, remove the belts and apply a even coat of spray paint.
    The paint will wear away quickly but the belt contact area will be clean.

Lack of hours caused this. Go boating more often.

In the 80s, I had a boat with a single LBC deep in the bilges. Always wet (bilge water and condensation). I found a shop that sold aluminum pulleys and eliminated this problem.
    I also doubled up on the belts and they lasted near forever.

wdrazl mentioned aligned pulleys. This is important also.
    Sober, lay an eyeball down the belt line (probably no room for a straight edge on a gas motor).
    Ensure the belt is evenly centered in the V groove of the pulleys. It should be obvious if there is a line up issue.

Is Danville near Sacramento? I have an ally there on the left coast that could help. Maybe the last red-neck in CA. His eye sight is a bit better than mine, Think he's a scotch drinker.
    Left coasters have all the fancy habits.
  12. J Baumgarten

J Baumgarten New Member

Thanks Guys, for the information. At a cost of $300 I can replace all the pulleys on both engines with new ones. Much cheaper than replacing fingers. The bilges are dry so no issues from standing water and as fat as I am I can wiggle in there to replace the pulleys. The first thing I checked was alignment. No problems there. Did it with a straight edge so I know I am good. The boat is a 1999 and has not been used much. Only 440 hours on the engines when I bought it.. As mentioned when the pulleys are new they are painted but once the paint wears off they are prone to rust if not run. I should have noticed the pulleys were the problem. There was black rubber dust on the bottom under the engines below the pulleys. I can see now that the rough pulleys were just "sanding" the belts.

Danville is east of the San Francisco Bay about 20 miles. I keep the boat in Emeryville, which is on the Bay. I can see Alcatraz and the Golden
    Gate Bridge from my slip. Having spent almost 30 in Florida, I can tell you boating here is much different. First the water is cold... You don't want to fall overboard. A lot of folks were those inflatable vests that look like a couple for round tubes over you chest. The issue is hypothermia. You loose the strength in your muscles pretty quickly and can't climb back in the boat. The other big difference is fishing. In South Florida we trolled all the time and did some fishing over the reefs. Here you fish on the bottom. You never see any outriggers here. But down riggers are the order of the day. They have stainless or monel wire and a 10 pound lead weight with a cloths pin like and out rigger . You clip the line to the cloth pin and lower the lead weight towards the bottom. Water outside the bay the is deep! Charts are in Fathoms not feet. 1000 Fathoms is DEEP. An other issue is Fog. Pretty good idea to have radar.

Anyway Boating wherever you are is just great. I lived aboard a 49 foot Cutter and sailed her from Seattle to L.A. also motored her back to Seattle. Much nicer going south along the Pacific Coast than North. At 76, sailing is too much work so I just push the throttles forward and go. But with that comes spending time in the bilge keeping the iron winds running.