Click for Cross Click for JetForums Click for Perko Click for YF Listing Service Click for Furuno

Crime at Marinas

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by Fjol70, Sep 14, 2023.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Back in the old days a horse thief was not popular, wish they would reinstate it these days..:mad:

chesapeake46 likes this.
  2. Jorge Lang

Jorge Lang Senior Member

For some reason, Garmin's are targeted. Even smaller center consoles in a marina are victims.
  3. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

OK I happen to have, unfortunately and definitely unpleasantly, a bit of experience dealing with "middle-level incursions" so to speak. Not just a bum coming for a sleepover where he's not supposed to, not some movie-level "crew".
    Allow me a bit of condensed wisdom.

a) All the signs and cameras not followed by a reasonably quick response are useless. There may be a fortune in selling those, definitely aint a fortune of savings with.

b) "real" booby traps are dangerous to employ. First thing first, people DO trip on their own. Do not underestimate your thrill of bringing friends to your boat in the evening and ... what's that? OY!
    Then, yeah, trespassers can try and hold owners liable for their property not being safe to trespass on. Depends on the jurisdiction, but it's absolutely "the norm". World we live in.

c) Visible human guard presence IS the best deterrent. I'm not necessarily talking armed patrols 24/7; however, those people tend not to be absolute idiots. If in the marina there will be a guy on spot within minute-two of any alarm - people around tend to know. Same for the otherwise (hence #1)

d) Passive deterrence is very effective when employed properly. We're talking good old walls, barbed wires, etc. Even raising the ramp in such a way that there's no obvious way in and 2+meter jump to it, I guess, will make a hell of a difference. Similar measures do in other applications against similar intruders profile.
    even if some of it relies on good'old "you don't have to outrun the bear, you have to outrun your mate". Your mates who don't want to play this game may want to pile together and arrange point #3)

In a bit of a closing word, please stay safe. People at different life situations have different thresholds for violence. What is a "serious financial damage" for you - may be well above "killing" value for a junkie. Or a stoned thrill-seeker.
    JWY likes this.
  4. ArcanisX

ArcanisX Senior Member

Sorry can't hold it: and I wrote this piece on incursions this Friday... .... ...
  5. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Wow, you are in Tel Aviv? :eek:
    So sorry to see and hear what is going on there.
    Hopefully the hostages will be found and rescued, maybe.
    Horrible and no sympathy for hamas and their supporters.
    Been to Tel Aviv many times for work in the 90s, great town, great people.
    Best of luck.
  6. SplashFl

SplashFl Active Member

The robbers at the yard on Federal Hwy. in Pompano Bch a few weeks back were "collecting" Garmin electronics. Caught due to the security guard who called police and the crooks caught after a chase that ended in Miami.