Click for Abeking Click for Burger Click for Westport Click for Westport Click for Northern Lights

Crew Radio question

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by BoulderGT3, Sep 28, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

I need a simple two way UHF (i think) pair of radios to use when a guest is helping me dock or run the windlass. The low end FRS stuff is cheap but doesn't work well due to the delays. Finding a VHF channel that doesn't get stepped on is an issue. I don't need a huge range although it would be nice if they worked a couple of 100m's on the dock. Any suggestions? Thanks
  2. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

I used the Motorola Talkabout on the Hatt. Worked great, good volume, rugid and easy to use. good belt clip, but can also fit in pocket. Has something like 20 channels, so you can always find one unused. Never had a conversation stepped on. It can take an earpiece if you like, but I found headsets (on a different kind) cumbersome.

P.S. You're right, for several reasons, not to use a VHF.
  3. Ken Bracewell

Ken Bracewell Senior Member

The Icom M88 has the ability to program private channels. It's what you'll see on the majority of yacht-crew's hips.
  4. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

The Icoms are great, but about 5 x's the cost ($230+ each; vs $99 for 2 or 3). Not sure I'd want them in the hands of a guest. Outside the U.S. there could be broadcast regualtions about the Motorolas though I suppose. Also, with the big boats the private channel programing could be important.
    Btw, both can take a dunking.
  5. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

I would think with 2 people doing coastal cruising the Motorola probably would be great. The Icom also weighs a great deal more than the Motorola. One place the Icom's surprised us originally as novices was the range.
  6. ranger58sb

ranger58sb Senior member

Yes, the VOX delay on the FRS units (ours are Motorola) is indeed an issue, as is simplex working.

Cell phones on speaker can work, depending on your location relative to an appropriate cell tower.

Eartec advertises duplex wireless headsets, and duplex is a good feature.

Some of our owners are using SENA Bluetooth systems with good results.

-Chris
  7. Capt Bill11

Capt Bill11 Senior Member