Click for Cross Click for Mulder Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Perko

Cockpit bait freezer top non insulated

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by CSkipR, May 22, 2015.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Do you put anything inside the top of your cockpit freezer bait/food since the top is not insulated? Piece of Styrofoam or towel or something similar. Not sure if this is a good idea since heat rises but the baking sun is on the cockpit freezer most of the time. Thanks
  2. leeky

leeky Senior Member

Since this is the "Technical Discussion" forum, I have to correct your "heat rises" statement.:p Heat moves from higher to lower temperature by conduction, convection, and radiation; it doesn't matter which direction the lower temperature is from the higher temperature.
  3. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Leeky,
    Thanks for the clarification on heat. Do you by chance have a good solution.
    Skip
  4. leeky

leeky Senior Member

CSkipR, I'm not a fisherman, and have no experience with cockpit bait freezers. From a physics point of view, anything that will insulate the inside of the bait freezer from a heat source is good. But I would think that that would have been taken into consideration when the bait freezer was built. Does your bait freezer not get the job done?
  5. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

In general the freezer works well although bait or food located close to the top will soften slightly during a hot day. It appears to be well insulated except for the top which is just fiberglass.
  6. TeKeela

TeKeela Member

Put a piece of styrofoam cut to the size of the rectangle/square box and put it in the top of the box. It will insulate the food/bait from the heat that penetrates the uninsulated lid. If you like the results, take your lid off and have someone insulate it, as in glass in some foam to the underside that fits snug when closed. You should also have a gasket around the lid that properly seals and also if you can positive latch to keep it snug.
  7. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

I would try Tekeela's route and cut a $10 2" thick piece of styrofoam and try it.
  8. CSkipR

CSkipR Member

Thanks guys will put a piece of Styrofoam on top and see how that works.
  9. K1W1

K1W1 Senior Member

If you don't have access to the Styrofoam while cruising a few bits of corrugated cardboard can also help reduce the cold loss at the top of the box if placed ontop of the contents.
  10. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

Hi Skip,
    My cooler tops are insulated and fit pretty tight. There is also a clear plastic cover that is about 8" from the top. It kind of ends up that stuff stays hard frozen in the bottom and refrigerated on the top. Tom IMG_1207.jpg IMG_1206.jpg
  11. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

That's always the case unless you creat airspace between the sides so that the air can circulate from the bottom to the top.....Most bait/chest freezers won'd keep stuff on top frozen.
  12. BoulderGT3

BoulderGT3 Senior Member

If I take the clear divider out it freezes everything solid and holds it.