Click for Glendinning Click for YF Listing Service Click for Westport Click for Mag Bay Click for JetForums

CAT C-18 Zinc List and Locations ?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by DOCKMASTER, Jan 23, 2024.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

Does anyone with late model CAT C-18 ACERTs have a drawing or list of all the zinc pencils and their locations? Maybe including the CAT part numbers? Not sure how much this changes from different hp engines so specifically I’m looking for the 1136 hp model. I’ve been trying to get something from CAT but not having much luck. I just want to ensure I don’t miss any given the high number of zincs on these engines. Most are standard zincs but then a few seem to be odd ball so hence my ask about CAT part numbers. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

p.s. I soooooo miss my friend that took care of all this but retired :(:(. I’m going to have to bite the bullet and find and train someone else I think.
  2. Capt Ralph

Capt Ralph Senior Member

I can be available..
    Been 60 years since I was up that way.
    Send me the serial numbers. I'll have a list shortly.
    I'll bring them with me when you train me in.
    Amtrak come up that far??
  3. Capt J

Capt J Senior Member

It's going to depend on which dealer installed your engines and how they're outfitted. C-18's can have a few of their zincs located in different places depending on how the motors were packaged for the install in that boat. Your best bet is going to your local dealer and letting them look up each engine by serial number and printing out the sheet of which zincs your motors need and location. Looks like Ralph can help you out.
  4. DOCKMASTER

DOCKMASTER Senior Member

I did finally get some info from CAT yesterday. They said they couldn’t find a specific list or singular drawing showing them all. However, they did send me the individual zinc drawings and BOM for the Heat X, Aftercooler, Gear Cooler and raw water intake. It indicates 8 zincs total. A couple of them use a plug with an o-ring, the rest are standard NPT plugs.

My goal is to have a complete replacement of zincs and plugs so it is a simple swap out once I crawl my fat azz outboard. Then the old ones can go to the shop and have the zinc rods replaced and cleaned and ready for next year.

Once I’m done I’m happy to send a detailed list to anyone if you have similar engines and if it would be helpful.