Click for YF Listing Service Click for JetForums Click for Northern Lights Click for Walker Click for Abeking

carver 444 good or bad?

Discussion in 'Carver Yacht' started by barbiedoll, Jun 12, 2007.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. barbiedoll

barbiedoll New Member

Considering purchasing a 2003 or 2004 carver 444 and would like some feedback from owners of this model like is the powering suffecient? How do you like the layout? Design? Etc.
  2. SeaEric

SeaEric YF Historian

The 444 is a very attractive boat, until you really look closely at one. Here are a few observations of one that I was aboard, perhaps an earlier model year;

1. On the aft deck, the swing of the the two wing doors, combined with the door to the cockpit prevent placing any furniture, beyond perhaps one single chair.
    2. The opening of the engine hatches is encumbered by the salon sofas.
    3. The aft cabin door is prevented from opening fully by the stbd. salon sofa.
    4. The microwave oven, which is mounted in the wall of the galley, swings open in the way of the burners on the range top.

Some of these functional problems may have perhaps been fixed in more recent hulls.
  3. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

the layout is 99% 396 aft cabin with the difference being in the aft cabin. The boat is very popular here in Ohio (the 396 anyway). It is a very roomy boat. I have not heard of anyone with the complaints noted above, and I'm not sure he even has a Carver by his avatar pic. The boat is not slow, but it's not fast either. Ours have all had the Volvo 63P engines (370hp) and cruises between 20 and 22 mph. I like the salon alot, and will be looking for one in the near future.
  4. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

5. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

6. Drshihtzu

Drshihtzu New Member

7. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

Really!!! Our surveyors love Carvers here in Ohio...they never find anything major!
  8. Carver has some of the better boat space designers in the industry, they manage to get a lot of usable space in a package without a lot of overall length.
    Carver's marketing and manufacturing has never been to the top of the price range, but they put together a good value package, especially if you find one a few years old. The power and speed is based on giving the most to the buyer witout costing too much, and being able to appeal to the most possible buyers.
    I sold a 430 aft cabin Carver for a client a few years ago, he had taken the boat to Venezuela and back, that is farther than many of the boats designed to go offshore ever get!
    Every boat has its design intent, Carver emphsizes family practicality.
  9. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

Carver haters....?

Did not know there was such a group out there?

I don't hate anything, but the link and the review seems like useful information for anybody considering a Carver.
    After reading it, I would stay far away from the brand however.:(
  10. RamSport47

RamSport47 New Member

But really...how useful is a 10 year old survey on a boat that admittedly had problems in it's first year or two...Carver acknowledges the problems with the 370 aft cabin, and makes sure they don't make the same mistakes on future models. Carvers of the present are much different than Carvers of the 80's and 90's
  11. JRO

JRO New Member

After all your reading... If all years of Carvers are crap in your opinion what brands do you accept and why?
  12. Norseman

Norseman Senior Member

All years of Carver are crap in my opinion?

Not sure I stated such an opinion...:rolleyes:

That being said, if indeed the surveyors opinion on the Carver 370 is anywhere close to the truth, it should raise a big red warning flag to anybody about to plunk down good money on a yacht.

My only "opinion" about Carvers is that some of them are a bit ugly, like a cheap floating condo, but then again I am old fashioned.
  13. vided2

vided2 New Member

444 cpmy

i have a 2003 es, and love it. we purchased it new from sibs.
    yes there are a few dumb design things, but it's a boat, show me a perfect off the rack boat.
    as much as my wife and i enjoy the boat it's time to say good-by.
    if your interested please feel free to e-mail me.
  14. captmerrill

captmerrill New Member

Carver444

I think Carver makes a substantial boat. As a professional captain I've operated most every yacht built. I personally own a 444 since it was almost new and love every moment. It handles well at sea and is a joy at dock