Click for YF Listing Service Click for Glendinning Click for Burger Click for Mag Bay Click for Abeking

Can't Anybody Drive a Travel Lift Anymore

Discussion in 'General Yachting Discussion' started by lwrandall, Mar 14, 2009.

You need to be registered and signed in to view this content.
  1. RT46

RT46 Senior Member

a good lesson from this is to use a yard where your boat is not the biggest one that they handle.
  2. g collis

g collis Member

I' thinking the slings slid forward when the pier collapsed. Whatever happened it was a definite, Rut Row.
  3. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Back in my early days I ran a travel lift in a yard when I wasn't blocking up boats or sweeping the shop. My qualifications were that I drove cars, motorcycles and boats. The piers were built out of wood, by a dockbuilder back in the 1960's (or maybe before). Sincerely doubt there was an engineering study done other than what the travel lift builder did to rate his machine. Our yard was dirt. Although that part may also sound bad it's actually good. Sinkhole can happen anywhere, especially near a pier or bulkeaded area, and remain unnoticed when covered by pavement (until something heavy drives over it). All that points to the fact that he who says "lift it" and walks away takes his chances. Always supervise any big job yourself, and lifting a boat is a big job. It just looks easy. Look over the equipment, where the straps are located, and walk with the lift as it travels. NEVER assume the other guy knows what he's doing.
  4. RER

RER Senior Member

You take command and control for the haulout? Assuming the yard allows it, why would you expose yourself and your owner to that kind of liability?
  5. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Because I was young, confident and ambitious. (I've also run boats and been around boatyards all my life.) I exposed myself to that kind of liability every day as a captain. My first mistake could have easily cost me everything I own. We all do that unless we have a contract that relieves us of responsibility (which are extremely rare). Fortunately I was also quite good at the things I did, and didn't over-reach. But that's why I'm so happy to now be retired. Only then can you know you've been a success. Till then you wait every day for the other shoe to fall.

As for supervising others hauling, there's no liability. That's on the yard. You're not directing the action. You're an extra set of eyes, and one that has more skin in the game than they do. After all they have insurance. It's your boat or your job that's at stake if they screw up. Can't tell you how many times I seen a yard put the straps where they'll crush a scupper or the running gear, or not balance the weight correctly. I don't run some yard's equipment though. No yard would permit that, nor would I do it if they did. I worked in the yard where I ran the travel-lift, but had far less experience than I like to see in someone lifting my own boat. Not at all unusual though from my experience. Hence my wanting to supervise when it's done.
  6. Loren Schweizer

Loren Schweizer YF Associate Writer

CAP, regarding your paragraph #1, I concur 100%, as I found myself exactly in similar situations. Then, and I'm talking mid-'80s, wiser heads prevailed, legally, and taking potential clients out for a ride on a 60-footer then required a Licensed Captain. Hell, I just knew how to drive & dock a boat without ever becoming a 'dock walloper'.
  7. olderboater

olderboater Senior Member

Disregarding Nycap running the lift.

When Nycap says "supervising other's hauling" I think what I'm hearing Nycap describe is really observing, rather than supervising. Not taking an active role in the haulout, but a role in watching the boat he's responsible and calling anything he observes in that capacity to the attention of the yard.
  8. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Correct. When I ran the travel lift I was employed by that yard. Two different things.
  9. Beau

Beau Senior Member

From the looks of it, the accident occurred because of an instantaneous structural failure. No amount of vigilance either from the ground or the lift can react quickly enough to that. Looks to me like a maintenance failure not human error. Just saying....
  10. NYCAP123

NYCAP123 Senior Member

Doubly so to be there observing. You know the yard would never want to admit fault, so all the better that you see it's not someone's fault. Also, from the yard's side, they've got to hate to make that call. 'Hey George, About your boat'. More eyes the better, especially when doing right.
  11. SsurRuss

SsurRuss New Member

I know this is an old response you did. However, after looking for three years for around a 50 footer, it seems I am very fond of the Linssens and for price it seems they can not be beat for quality and liveability,but this is 2020. What is you take? It seems like you know your stuff. : ) Thanks
  12. JWY

JWY Senior Member